Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Received a CP11 from the IRS based on the Refundable Child Tax Credit (Panic is setting in)

@pburch7500 wrote:

Turbo Tax says "Your taxes done right, guaranteed" I had the same CP11 notice delivered saying I (Turbo Tax) put in 3,000 but only qualified for 1,500.  Now I owe 37.84 and counting in late charges and interest.  How do I get a refund from Turbo Tax per their guarantee? -

100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee

If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.

Did you receive the advance child tax credits in 2021 that totaled $1,500?  If so, you were asked if you received these credits and if you indicated that you did not receive them then the full $3,000 child tax credit was entered on your federal tax return Form 1040 on Line 28.  The IRS has records showing that you were sent the advance child tax credits in 2021 so they removed $1,500 of the child tax credit from Line 28.  So your Child Tax Credit on the 2021 tax return was $1,500.

You should have received Letter 6149 from the IRS for the amount of the payments sent to you.

Look at your return Schedule 8812 on Line 14f.  If Line 14f is blank or 0 you failed to report the advance child tax credit you received in 2021.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the advance child tax credit payments are entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Received a CP11 from the IRS based on the Refundable Child Tax Credit (Panic is setting in)

All  DIY tax programs guarantee the return will be correctly calculated  based off the your data entries.  So if you made an entry  error that   is not the program's fault and many users have entered the incorrect advance CTC amount in the program.  

What is the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-is-the-turbotax-100-accurate-calculatio...

Thanks for the responses.  It is what it is. I've been doing my own taxes using Turbo Tax or HR Block since at least 2009 i.e. I am a sophisticated e-filer.  I have no way to prove I did not answer the question accurately (which is that I did receive the money).  As I re-opened the program now, it did not show the amounts within the questions.  So I do owe.   Frustrated with the experience and with the fact the Fed Payment did not come out of my account automatically (separate thread).  Feels like there is some coding work to which I am the victim but again can't prove it and frankly not worth my time to fight over $37.  Spent that already in these emails.  Cheers or grunts.  Not sure which. 

@pburch7500 - look at the 'bright side' - all these input errors in the child tax credit and the Recovery Rebate won't occur on the 2022 tax return (unless Congress passes a new law) 

I've read this thread with great interest as I too got a letter. I don't know that this happened to everybody, but in my case, my mistake in the data entry was that I didn't add (in my head) the two amounts together. My wife and I both received a letter, so when TurboTax asked for the amount on the letter, I put in $1000, thinking that it would ask me again for the amount from my wife's letter. It clearly states (but I didn't read) that you should enter the "combined" amount from both letters in that field. So my CP11 said, hey, you shorted this by $1000...which I did. I too had to go check my tax return and see that I only put in $1000 when it should have been $2000. Live and learn.  Thought i'd share.

Todd

@RowdyAce - yup, the IRS did not do anyone any favors in sending out two letters - one to each spouse.  I do not beleive it was clear that the letters were NOT duplicates, but rather had to be added together.  THat is the #1 issue is I see on all these posts - couples filing jointing that did not realize the two letters needed to be added together. 

bobbysf

I've been doing my own taxes for over 20 years and have never made a mistake... until now. Just received a CP11 due to a mistake in calculating the Refundable Child Tax Credit.

I never asked for the advance on the Child Tax Credit, and they (Both the IRS and TurboTax) sure as heck didn't make the entries clear enough for me not to make a mistake.

I sure hope the IRS does not choose to do something like this again.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@bobbysf wrote:

I sure hope the IRS does not choose to do something like this again.

The IRS didn't choose to do it. Congress chose to do it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies