turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Purchased an NFT for 0.25 ETH, then sold it for 0.5 ETH when ETH was around $4K USD. ETH is now $1200 USD. Is this considered a capital loss?

I have not converted my ETH to USD after the sale of the NFT.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Purchased an NFT for 0.25 ETH, then sold it for 0.5 ETH when ETH was around $4K USD. ETH is now $1200 USD. Is this considered a capital loss?

From the way I understand how this works, each trade of ETH creates a reportable gain or loss transaction

1) when you sold ETH and purchased the NFT,  the price of ETH on that day, compared to when you first purchased ETH is a reportable gain or loss transaction

2) then when you sold the NFT, and purchased ETH, the NFT is a reportable gain or loss transactiion

3) when yiu eventually sell .5 ETH, there will be a reportable gain or loss transaction.  The cost basis is the purchase price in 2) above. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No ... you bought and sold for a profit.  What the crypto did after you sold it is immaterial. 

From the way I understand how this works, each trade of ETH creates a reportable gain or loss transaction

1) when you sold ETH and purchased the NFT,  the price of ETH on that day, compared to when you first purchased ETH is a reportable gain or loss transaction

2) then when you sold the NFT, and purchased ETH, the NFT is a reportable gain or loss transactiion

3) when yiu eventually sell .5 ETH, there will be a reportable gain or loss transaction.  The cost basis is the purchase price in 2) above. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies