Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Personal Property Entry Box doesn't work

The entry box for personal property taxes does not register numbers when typed.  This is under "Deductions and Other Credits" "Cars and Other Things You Own".  For the record, I'm using the CD version.  I've closed the program and reopened it - this does not make a difference. 

Several other people have also registered this problem under the "Personal Property Tax" question already answered, but it doesn't seem like anybody has seen these posts.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@JustGetMeThroughThis 

@DaveF1006 

@DawnC 

For  Windows Desktop...it's probably the "$0" bug  (but I'm just guessing since I don't want to go thru 20 questions)

Whenever you see a "$0"  (an actual zero, not a simple "$" , and only when using the windows desktop software )...a "Supporting Details" sheet is attached to that entry, usually transferred in from last year, but after the actual $$ entries were stripped out.

Problem is that TTX reprogrammed that page such that the "Supporting Details" page doesn't pop up like it used to...so several ways to work around  it until they get it fixed (if ever, since it was reported a couple years ago).

___

Here's what I think is happening  (#1,2,3 below)...and how to fix it (#4 below).

1)  In 2018 you added "Supporting Details" to each of those fields where you encounter a locked "$0"...probably to describe  when & how paid it in some prior year.

2)  The Supporting Details sheets (empty) transferred into your 2019 file from your 2018 file.

3)  The Supporting Details are supposed to pop up as soon as you attempt to enter a value during the Interview...but it doesn't.  (Software Bug)

4) Workarounds  : 

4a)  double-click in the field and the Supporting Details sheet pops up and you can either delete it (hit the big red "X"), and now make a normal entry...or you can use the SuppDetails worksheet to enter your $$....OR...

4b)   Put your cursor in the box, and then go to the top menu on the screen and click on <Edit....then <<Add Supporting Details from the drop-down menu.  IF the SuppDet box shows up you can either add your entry in there...or hit the Red "X" to delete the whole SupDet worksheet and then make your normal entry.....or...

4c)  Put your cursor on the box....switch to Forms Mode...., and enter the payment  directly in the worksheet.   You can also delete the Supporting Details sheet entirely (look for the REMOVE "X" when it pops up)..once that is done, you can make entries using the interview again..

and there are other places ..like Medical Expenses, and Federal Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments ...where the same "$0" issue "might" pop up....but only if you used Supporting Details in the past

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

After you type in the number, go back to the Deductions and Credits list.  You should see an amount in the list of deductions.  But pay close attention because the first category you see will be Property Taxes - but this will be for Your Home.   You have to scroll down further to see the amount for cars and other property in the list; cars (and other vehicles) are the 4th group of Deductions & Credits.  

I just tested it and it is working on the CD software.  Also, you may not see any changes in your refund/tax due since this is an itemized deduction.  You won't see any tax effect until your itemized deductions total more than your standard deduction.     

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick reply!  The issue I have is that I can't get the numbers to show up in the entry box.  They will not type.  Thoughts?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Have you checked your num lock key on your keyboard?

Good idea, but yes, I did.  And I also used the numbers across the top of my keyboard to be sure.  I've also tried shutting down the program, too.

@JustGetMeThroughThis 

@DaveF1006 

@DawnC 

For  Windows Desktop...it's probably the "$0" bug  (but I'm just guessing since I don't want to go thru 20 questions)

Whenever you see a "$0"  (an actual zero, not a simple "$" , and only when using the windows desktop software )...a "Supporting Details" sheet is attached to that entry, usually transferred in from last year, but after the actual $$ entries were stripped out.

Problem is that TTX reprogrammed that page such that the "Supporting Details" page doesn't pop up like it used to...so several ways to work around  it until they get it fixed (if ever, since it was reported a couple years ago).

___

Here's what I think is happening  (#1,2,3 below)...and how to fix it (#4 below).

1)  In 2018 you added "Supporting Details" to each of those fields where you encounter a locked "$0"...probably to describe  when & how paid it in some prior year.

2)  The Supporting Details sheets (empty) transferred into your 2019 file from your 2018 file.

3)  The Supporting Details are supposed to pop up as soon as you attempt to enter a value during the Interview...but it doesn't.  (Software Bug)

4) Workarounds  : 

4a)  double-click in the field and the Supporting Details sheet pops up and you can either delete it (hit the big red "X"), and now make a normal entry...or you can use the SuppDetails worksheet to enter your $$....OR...

4b)   Put your cursor in the box, and then go to the top menu on the screen and click on <Edit....then <<Add Supporting Details from the drop-down menu.  IF the SuppDet box shows up you can either add your entry in there...or hit the Red "X" to delete the whole SupDet worksheet and then make your normal entry.....or...

4c)  Put your cursor on the box....switch to Forms Mode...., and enter the payment  directly in the worksheet.   You can also delete the Supporting Details sheet entirely (look for the REMOVE "X" when it pops up)..once that is done, you can make entries using the interview again..

and there are other places ..like Medical Expenses, and Federal Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments ...where the same "$0" issue "might" pop up....but only if you used Supporting Details in the past

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain, you are a genius!  (Or maybe an elephant with a long memory.)  I should remember this bug from year to year.  That was exactly the issue.  Thanks very much.

Thanks for trying to help, but those procedures dont work  

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

@Arturo What version of TurboTax are you using?

Premier for tax Year 2020  I have been doing my taxes for years using turbo Tax, so I am no a novice.  Last year I was able to make the property tax entries with no problem

@ Arturo 

Did you really try  my 4b) alternate procedure above ??

Put your cursor in what box?  I think we are starting on different pages.  I see a box with a $0  after which I should be able to enter my tax.  .  On that page there is no 'menu" on the top screen, just a 'search box"  If you have TT premier, just go to deductions section and follow the instructions and you'll see where I am at.

( DESKTOP SOFTWARE ONLY !!  )

( On a Windows Computer )

Here...My example is for "Property Taxes"  (since I already have the pictures)

But the procedure is the same if you are talking about any other area where a $0 shows up in the interview...like in "Personal Property Taxes" or "Medical Expenses"

PropTaxes_zero_1.png

PropTaxes_zero_2.png

PropTaxes_zero_3.png

Hi Steam Train

Your procedure worked perfectly and I was able to enter my property taxes with this procedure.  I am perplexed why turbo Tax has allowed this problem to continue when so many people have a problem with it. Thanks again for you help

Pkardl

not even close to the issue

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies