Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paper check received after I claimed recovery rebate credit

My bank Suntrust was part of a merger last year and I was instructed by my bank to claim the recovery rebate credit for the second stimulus payment. I was told explicitly that I would not receive a paper check from the Treasury.

Last week I completed my taxes and e-filed with Turbotax. I claimed the second payment as recovery rebate credit as suggested.

Today, I unexpectedly received a paper check. Can I just destroy the check?

Thanks,
Sam

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, you can cash the check or at least hold on to it. The IRS will probably end up resolving this by adjusting your tax return to remove the stimulus payment that you claimed.  The IRS originally said that they would only issue stimulus payments until January 15.  But they are continuing to issue payments until February 5.

A lot of people filed for the stimulus payment and then received a stimulus check, debit card, or deposit.  The IRS has not yet told us how they will handle this. But if you destroy the check and then they take the payment from your refund, you would have to file paperwork to have the check reissued.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

No, you can cash the check or at least hold on to it. The IRS will probably end up resolving this by adjusting your tax return to remove the stimulus payment that you claimed.  The IRS originally said that they would only issue stimulus payments until January 15.  But they are continuing to issue payments until February 5.

A lot of people filed for the stimulus payment and then received a stimulus check, debit card, or deposit.  The IRS has not yet told us how they will handle this. But if you destroy the check and then they take the payment from your refund, you would have to file paperwork to have the check reissued.

Thanks @MaryM428

Should I amend my 2020 return after it is accepted, or should I just allow the IRS to make the correction?

Sam 

There is nothing you can or need to do ... the IRS will correct this automatically when they process the return.  

Thanks everyone!

The same thing happened to me. On the IRS website it says that my taxes are still being processed, but i received the stimulus check after filing. What should i do?

Do NOTHING ... the IRS will most likely catch this and adjust your refund.  If they don't then and only then should you amend the return so just wait patiently.

To follow up, my refund was indeed adjusted automatically. I have not deposited the paper check yet, so I will do so now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies