turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On Schedule 1, there is a place to enter the $300 for charitable contributions if I use the standard deduction. I don't see a place to enter that data.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

On Schedule 1, there is a place to enter the $300 for charitable contributions if I use the standard deduction. I don't see a place to enter that data.

Yes, it's all updated (Home & Business for Windows).

I found that I had not completed the Recovery Rebate form. When I finished that, it allowed me to enter the $300 income credit.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Go to the Charitable Donations section under Deductions & Credits to enter the $300 cash donation.   If you are receiving the Standard deduction the donation will be entered on Form 1040 Line 10b.

To enter charitable donations -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Charitable Donations
  • On Donations to Charity in 2020, click on the start or update button

Or enter charitable donation in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen. Click on Jump to charitable donation

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've entered all of that. On the forms, it does show the standard deduction, but does not show the $300 credit on that line.

@Anonymous wrote:

I've entered all of that. On the forms, it does show the standard deduction, but does not show the $300 credit on that line.

Are you using the latest software release?  Click on Online and then on Check for Updates.

I am using the Premier edition for Windows and can enter $300 for a cash donation in the Deductions & Credits section and show the donation on Form 1040 Line 10b in Forms mode.

Make sure that you complete the Deductions & Credits section.  And continue through for the software to give you the Standard Deduction.

Go through Federal Review.  Do you get an error for the donation?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it's all updated (Home & Business for Windows).

I found that I had not completed the Recovery Rebate form. When I finished that, it allowed me to enter the $300 income credit.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Do you see it on line 10b now?  

Some folks confuse a deduction with a dollar-for-dollar credit, but that's not how deductions work. If you donate $300 to charity, your taxable income is reduced by $300, assuming you're itemizing. You'll never see a $300 donation translate to a $300 increase in your refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, and I understand tax credit vs. income credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies