turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My grandma provided care to my son for 2021 but I paid her in cash, would I be able to claim dependent care credit?

Do I need proof that I paid her in cash to care for my son?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My grandma provided care to my son for 2021 but I paid her in cash, would I be able to claim dependent care credit?

If you enter the childcare credit on your tax return you also have to enter Grandma's Social Security number or Tax ID in order to get the credit.   The IRS matches those up.  Grandma has to file a tax return that shows that income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank You so much that helps a lot 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

In order for you to claim the child care credit, your grandma has to claim the income. 

If she worked in your home, she would be considered a household employee and receive a W-2.

You have a household employee if you hired someone to do household work and that worker is your employee. The worker is your employee if you can control not only what work is done but how it is done. If the worker is your employee, then it does not matter whether the work is full-time or part-time nor that you hired the worker through an agency or from a list provided by an agency or an association. It also does not matter whether you pay the worker on an hourly, daily, weekly, or by the job

Thank you so much that helps I do not think I would get the credit because my grandmother does not file taxes and I paid her in cash 

@ambrawilmer wrote:

Thank you so much that helps I do not think I would get the credit because my grandmother does not file taxes and I paid her in cash 

If you legitimately paid someone to care for your children so you can work, you can claim that expense for the credit, even if the person who provided care does not pay taxes.  You list your care provider's name, address and SSN on your return when you claim the credit.  What happens to the care provider is between then and the IRS and does not influence whether or not you get the credit.  The IRS will look to see if the care provider needs to pay taxes, but they may not owe taxes depending on their other income and tax situations.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies