turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer is foreign based and does not have an EIN. How do I address this issue on my W-2 form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My employer is foreign based and does not have an EIN. How do I address this issue on my W-2 form?

You do not need an EIN or a W-2 to report income that you earned for working in a foreign country for a foreign employer. Do not make up a W-2 if you did not get one. 

In TurboTax's Income section look for the "Less Common Income" heading. Under that heading select the choice of "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion". When it asks you what form your foreign income was reported on, select "A statement from my foreign employer." And then enter your data.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You do not need an EIN or a W-2 to report income that you earned for working in a foreign country for a foreign employer. Do not make up a W-2 if you did not get one. 

In TurboTax's Income section look for the "Less Common Income" heading. Under that heading select the choice of "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion". When it asks you what form your foreign income was reported on, select "A statement from my foreign employer." And then enter your data.

Where is this "less common income"? I'm not able to get through any of the forms because my wife is an non-resident alien with no SSN. Shouldn't there be a separate form for US citizens living and working abroad who have already paid taxes in a foreign country with foreign spouses? Where is this?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

To enter foreign earned income/exclusion in the TurboTax online program, here are the steps:

• After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off 
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in foreign income and Enter 
  • Select Jump to foreign income 
  • Next screen, Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? answer Yes 
  • Follow prompts

@bdotypccam

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KCard

When I click the option "A statement from my foreign employer" I am prompted to put in an EIN. When I leave it blank I am later obligated to go back and enter something before I can officially file. What do I do ?

hardidi

Do you need to attach any specific document to the tax return for foreign income under the category "A statement from my foreign employer"? Or it would only be requested by IRS in case of audit?

Hi... The previous instructions for this are a bit confusing, if not incorrect...

IF the employer is a US Employer but the employee is working in a Foreign Country they should have an EIN and it will be REQUIRED for input or the return will be rejected.

IF the employer is a Foreign Employer, they will not have an EIN so you CANNOT enter the income as W-2 Income because an EIN will be required...

The solution I found was to:

1. Search for Foreign Wages, then select the Taxpayer or Spouse the income applies to.
2. Enter the Wages in US currency as converted from the Foreign Country.
3. Make sure to enter the 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

That should do it, if it doesn't... please let me know and I'll see if I missed a stop.

Lisa C. Slater, CPA

Roman33

Hello, I’ve completed these steps and it continues to take me back to fill in the employer’s EIN. Is there an alternative solution?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. Jump to foreign income

2. Make money outside the U.S.? Select Yes

3. A statement from my foreign employer

4. Enter the foreign wages in U.S. dollar amounts

continue answering questions, there is no place to enter an EIN.

@Roman33 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies