turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lifetime Learning Credit

My AGI is substantially less than the LLC phase out threshold ($59K), and I have over $10k of tuition expenses after scholarships. However, TurboTax is only calculating a $1,240 credit for me, instead of the full $2,000 amount. Why is this the case?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Lifetime Learning Credit

The Lifetime Learning Credit is a "nonrefundable" credit. That means it cannot reduce your tax to less than zero, or give you a refund of more than you had withheld. What is the amount on your Form 1040 line 22? If it's zero, you cannot get any higher Lifetime Learning Credit because your tax is already zero with the $1,240 credit.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Lifetime Learning Credit

The Lifetime Learning Credit is a "nonrefundable" credit. That means it cannot reduce your tax to less than zero, or give you a refund of more than you had withheld. What is the amount on your Form 1040 line 22? If it's zero, you cannot get any higher Lifetime Learning Credit because your tax is already zero with the $1,240 credit.

Lifetime Learning Credit

Thank you! However, I had over $2,000 withheld. Is it possible to see my Form 1040 line 22 through TurboTax Online before paying for filing?

Lifetime Learning Credit

@neha1 wrote:

Thank you! However, I had over $2,000 withheld. Is it possible to see my Form 1040 line 22 through TurboTax Online before paying for filing?

You can view your Form 1040 at any time using the online editions. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Lifetime Learning Credit

Ah, helpful. You are right—it's because my Form 1040 line 22 is $0. Thank you so much!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies