Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ctpcoach

Is the turbotax system updated to account for the $300 charitable deductions under the CARES Act for those who take the standard deduction?

Yes, I have done this several times , but while is says it is choosing "Itemized" it is pushing the standard deduction through, so when you review , it is standard. No Schedule A, etc.  

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Is the turbotax system updated to account for the $300 charitable deductions under the CARES Act for those who take the standard deduction?

This TurboTax Help states:

• For this year, even if you don’t itemize, you may take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to qualified organizations.

I created a 2020 Federal tax return in TurboTax Online Free Edition.  I was able to enter a $300 cash charitable contribution under Federal / Deductions & Credits / Donations to charity in 2020.

I was able to view the $300 deduction on the 1040 in TurboTax Online by following these directions. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Under Other helpful links, click on View Tax Summary.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Preview My 1040 to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • Under Review Tax Summary, the entry will be listed under Adjustments to Income.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Back to return.

If you are able to view the Federal 1040, the entries are on lines 10a and 10b and 10c.  You can print or view your full tax returns prior to filing after you have paid for the software.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was able to enter $300 at the end of the Deductions and Credits section when specifically asked the question by TT (Deluxe Version online).

However when I run through CompleteCheck before filing it tells me my cash contribution is too large, which makes no sense. Any help needed would be great, as this is driving me crazy, I just want to file!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Try entering $299 to see if this makes a difference.

Dan_R

This solution does not appear to work in TurboTax Deluxe. Cash donations to "The Nature Conservancy" (which is a 501(c)(3) organization that appears on the IRS Exempt Organizations Lookup Tool) do not reduce taxes. The method of entering cash donations from the "Donations to Charity in 2020" window in TurboTax Deluxe is done as follows.

. click on Start/Update

. click on Yes to enter donations for 2020

. enter charity name (i.e. The Nature Conservancy) and click the Add Money button

. select One time (for how often you gave), enter a cash amount ($300) and click on Done with This Donation

. click Done (to indicate that there are no more donations)

. click on Done with Charitable Donations

Nothing happens. Taxes are not adjusted for the $300 donation.

How do we get TurboTax to adjust taxes for the $300 donation?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, that is not the way to claim the $300 charitable donation if you are claiming the standard deduction. Instead go to:

1. Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Federal>deductions and credits>review
  3. Now you should be in a page that summarizes your tax breaks. Go to the bottom of the screen and select wrap up tax breaks
  4. Scroll through the screens until you reach the page that informs you the Standard deduction is right for you.
  5. The very next page is where you will enter the amount for your charitable donation. 
  6. If you try to enter the donation under Charitable Donations in deductions and credits section, you won't see a reduction of taxable income because you are entering this as an itemized deduction.

jeb605
Returning Member

Feb 5 - I just checked again and it worked as explained above.  The $300 was calculated in, and shows as a deducted amount.  Seems to be correct now.

Thank you for this, but sadly $299 does not fix the issue. The problem is that TurboTax will not let me e-file with this "error" outstanding in CompleteCheck. This is clearly a bug. Is anyone aware of a way to contact TurboTax  to fix this issue? Any help appreciated!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

TurboTax ONLINE

Click Tax Tools on the left side bar

Click Tools from the drop-down

Click the "Topic Search" box on the screen

Type or scroll down to    standard deduction and exemptions

Click GO 

The next screen gives you an option to change your selection from Standard to Itemized and back. You do not need to change your selection

Scroll down to the bottom of that screen and click CONTINUE

The next screen is the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act screen

IF YOU ARE CLAIMING STANDARD DEDUCTION enter the amount of cash contributions you made, up to  300

IF YOU ARE ITEMIZING DEDUCTIONS enter 0

Scroll down and click Continue

Click Continue on the next screen

DESKTOP

Go to Step-By-Step input

Click Federal

Click Deductions & Credits along the top

Click “I’ll choose what I work on”

Edit or Update Donations to Charity in 2020 if needed, then click “Done with Charitable Donations”

Scroll down the “Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen and click “Done with Deductions”

Click Continue on the “Let’s Check Your Deductions and Credits” screen

Continue through the following interview questions until you get to the “Here Are Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen

Click Continue

If the next screen says “The Standard deduction is Right for You!” click Continue

ON THE NEXT SCREEN enter the cash contribution made in 2020 and click Continue

Your 1040 should update

“The new "up to $300 above the line cash charity donation" is available for tax year 2020. This allows a Taxpayer to claim up to a $300 credit which is subtracted from income on the 1040 line 10c if the Taxpayer is claiming the Standard Deduction. (If you Itemize Deductions, all your donations will be listed on Schedule A.) “

@quinnrj

Winneroak

Can the $300 charitable deduction be claimed using TurboTax Basic?

This was an known issue that has now been resolved. 

Follow all of these steps to correct it:

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. Click Edit to the right of Standard Deduction ​​Click OK, Sounds Good
  4. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  5. Click Continue
  6. Make sure that $300 or the amount you donated is filled in and then click Continue
  7. Click Lets Keep Going
Shirkey
Returning Member

Just checked today. Still not working and can't e-file. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

There should be no reason why you cannot claim the $300 deduction if you did reported this correctly in your return. 

If you entered your charitable donations by going to federal> deductions and credits>charitable donations, delete it from this section. This is not the way to claim the $300 charitable donation. instead, report it in the following manner after deleting the entry from charitable donations in the deductions and credit section.

1. Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Federal>deductions and credits>review
  3. Now you should be in a page that summarizes your tax breaks. Go to the bottom of the screen and select wrap up tax breaks
  4. Scroll through the screens until you reach the page that informs you the Standard deduction is right for you.
  5. The very next page is where you will enter the amount for your charitable donation. Here you can enter an amount up to $300.

Still not seeing a $300 adjustment 

If you take the Standard Deduction you can also deduct up to $300 Charity on 1040 line 10b.  Go though the deduction section and enter your charity amounts.  Then keep going and finish that section.  It should say the Standard Deduction is right for you.  Then it will add the amount to line 10b.

After you enter the charity - Then keep going and finish all the deduction section.  It should say the Standard Deduction is right for you.  Then it will add the amount to line 10b.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies