turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is anyone seeing the $300 charitable donations deduction for non-itemizers?

I think there is a software bug.  It put me in a loop.

When I entered all my deductions they exceeded the standard deduction by a little more than $150.  TurboTax automatically chose itemized deduction but when the final check ran it failed because of a missing entry on the worksheet for amount to be deducted if taking standard deduction.  When I entered a number ($300) it failed because the box was not blank.  And so it went, enter a number, fail because it was not blank, leave it blank and fail for being blank.  Crazy,

It tried phone support but after an hour on hold I gave up.

Then I had a brainstorm.  Even though my itemized deductions exceeded the standard deductions, after taking the allowable $300, the standard deduction was a better deal.  And some piece of logic in the worksheet didn't know how to handle that case.

I manually changed my deduction to standard.  I filled in the worksheet to take the $300 and it accepted it.  I was able to go through all the checks and eFile my return.

Now if I could only find out how to report the bug.

After changing the box to 300, it still pops up when I run smart check and I cannot get past this point.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the steps provided by DanaB27 in this article to resolve your check this entry error for cash charitable donations. 

@Aaron117

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I solved it myself.  Evidently the code could not reconcile the case of my itemized deductions exceeding the standard deduction but being  less than the standard deduction plus $300.  I had to go back to the deduction section and choose standard deduction even though it recommended itemizing.  It then allowed me to fill the box with $300 and pass the self-check.  In the process, it lowered my taxes so all it well.

I input the $300 but at Federal Review, it says the value unacceptable.  If I change it to zero, it will work but I do not get the benefit of $300 amount

It's weird. When I put the donations ($450 in my case) into Schedule A, the figure $300 doesn't carry over, but the $300 is indeed deducted in the righthand column. I found it impossible to e-file in another tax return, so I figure that's going to be a problem with the 1040-SR as well. So I've just over-ridden the blank entry, typed in the $300, and everything looks fine. I'll just mail it in and hope TurboTax gets this sorted by next year!

ej1948

I had $62 in cash donations and followed the instructions precisely but kept getting a message that the donation was too large. It finally accepted $10, so I lost the remaining amount. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

If you have not already filed, this can be fixed.

However, keep in mind, this is not a dollar for dollar reduction in tax. It is a reduction of the income subject to tax. In other words, if you were in the 10% tax bracket, a full $300 deduction would give you a $300 * 10% = $30 benefit.

To adjust your charitable donation above-the-line deduction: Return to the Donations section of your return, remove your entry in the CARES Act Charitable Donation screen, and enter it first in the regular charitable donations section.

The extra cash donation is allowable up to $300 for all taxpayers except married filing separate, who would each have a maximum of $150.

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

• First, enter in the charitable donation amount as you normally would.
    • From the left menu, select Federal.
    • Select the second tab from the left across the top, Deductions & Credits.
    • Scroll down to Charitable Donations.
    • Enter your details.
  • When finished entering all donations, select Done with Charitable Donations and Continue.
  • Scroll to the end of Deductions & Credits and select Done with Deductions.
    • You may need to respond to any other additional questions. You will eventually see: The Standard Deduction is Right for You! 
    • Click Continue.
    • Now, you will see Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act where you will see any qualified contribution amount already entered from your earlier posts. Select Continue.
      • If you have entered something else in this field, delete it so that TurboTax will calculate it automatically.

For more information, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions.

janetSK

I see "done with donations" but it doesn't say "wrap up tax breaks".  And I don't see a change in the refund up to the point of the tax review.  Should it have shown up before that point?

Thanks.

After you click on Done with Donations, it takes you back to the main Deductions and Credits page.  Scroll down to bottom and click on Wrap Up.  That should trigger the deduction.

I found it a whole lot easier just to file by mail! I hope you guys get this sorted by next year.

Repaupo

I am working on my 2021 taxes (Desktop version of Turbotax) and I am getting an unacceptable error. I am taking the standard deduction and claiming the additional $600 charitable deduction for joint filers. When I revue my return I get an unacceptable error that I am unable to fix.

Please help.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Try this fix from @ReneeM7122:

"Delete the $300 in the error check. Then go back to Deductions & Credits and enter the contribution there, in the Donations to Charity topic. Then click Done with Donations and proceed through the screens until you get to the screen that tells you that TurboTax has added in the contribution.

The contribution should be back on Form 1040 line 10b, but it won't be flagged as an error. It only gets flagged if you enter it when prompted after you finish Deductions & Credits and the software tells you that you are getting the standard deduction. It will not get flagged if you enter it in Donations to Charity."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I keep getting a message that my $300 charitable contribution is an unacceptable value.

It won't let me efile without fixing this.  I don't know how to fix it.

@morgan2039 wrote:

I keep getting a message that my $300 charitable contribution is an unacceptable value.

It won't let me efile without fixing this.  I don't know how to fix it.

For the TurboTax desktop edition -

To remove the error I went into Forms mode and deleted the Charitable Organization Worksheet.  Then on the Form 1040 Worksheet for Line 12b removed the $300 amount so Line 12b is now blank (empty).

Going back to Step-by-Step I completed the Deductions & Credits section without entering anything for a charitable donation.  Continuing through the screens until landing on the screen labeled Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, I entered $600.  Continued through Final Review without error.

For the TurboTax online editions -

The problem appears to be that a charitable donation was entered in the Deductions and Credits section of the program when you are only eligible for the Standard Deduction.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

Scroll through the all the forms, schedules and worksheets listed and delete all the Charitable Organization forms listed.

When completed with removing forms click on Continue With My Return at the bottom of the list.

Click on Federal on the left side of the screen

Click on Deductions & Credits at the top of the screen

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks

Continue through the screens.  After the screen showing that you are getting the Standard Deduction the following screen is Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act.  Enter $600 if filing Jointly or $300 for all other filing status'.  The federal review and the Final Review should no longer show an error for the charitable donation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies