turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mollymao

Do i need to check the box for "Owned or signed on a foreign bank, broker, or other financial account" if I have a foreign account with less than US $2000?

I see that there's a threshold for filling of Form 8938 (FATCA) or FBAR, what is the threshold for each of FATCA or FBAR.  If i am within the threshold, do i still need to check the box for "Owned or signed on a foreign bank, broker, or other financial account" on the miscellaneous investment section?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do i need to check the box for "Owned or signed on a foreign bank, broker, or other financial account" if I have a foreign account with less than US $2000?

If you answer "yes," the next question is about a 10k threshold, to which you can answer "no." Then it'll say you can skip the FBAR. So either way, you're good.

Now the turbotax website sasys buy the Deluxe edition with $40, even if you select you do not have more than $10,000 at any point of time in foreign account.

As the turbotax person said, it should ask to skip FBAR if less than $10,000. But its NOT and recommends that we buy $40 turbo tax package for tax filing

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Instead of upgrading to Deluxe, you may wish to see if you qualify for IRS Free File. Click here for more information:  What is the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax

@amitdey789

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies