turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my child is 16 when I file taxes is they elaigable for tax credit?

when does a child have to turn 17 to not be able to receive child tax credit
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If the child is under the age of 17 in 2020 for a 2020 tax return they are eligible for the child tax credit.

Are you asking about the child tax credit on your 2020 tax return---or the advance monthly payments for 2021?

The law for 2020 says that you get the CTC on your 2020 tax return for a child who is YOUNGER than 17 at the end of 2020.

For the new 2021 child tax credit the child has to be YOUNGER than 18 at the end of 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

If your child turned 17 anytime in 2020, he is not eligible for the 2020 Child Tax credit.

If your child has or will turned 18 anytime in 2021, he is not eligible for the 2021 Child Tax credit.

The controlling factor is the child's age on December 31 of the tax year.

For the ordinary child tax credit (up to $2000, for years 2020 and earlier) the child must be "under 17" (age 16 or less) on December 31.

For the enhanced child tax credit ($3000, for tax year 2021), the child must be "under 18" on December 31, 2021.

If this seems unfair, (such as, your child's birthday is December 29 and they were of qualifying age for almost all the year but don't get the money), remember that the child also got the full credit in the year they were born, even though they were only alive a couple of days. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies