turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I owe back child support and I’m claiming my girlfriend and her two kids can I file an injured spouse form so they can still get their refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I owe back child support and I’m claiming my girlfriend and her two kids can I file an injured spouse form so they can still get their refund

No.  You are not married.  You have to file a Joint return with a spouse to file the injured spouse form.  Does your girlfriend have any income?  You can't claim her unless she had less than 4,300 total income and lived with you the WHOLE year.  Is she filing her own return?  If she isn't filing a return what refund do you think she gets?

What?   If you have a GF how are you an injured "spouse?"   If YOU are the one who owes child support your legally married spouse could claim injured spouse on a joint return.   If you and your GF are not  legally married then injured spouse is not part of the plan.  And you do not "claim" a spouse as a dependent.   

You are posting from Live-----call for the Live help---you need it.

You are posting from TurboTax Live.  You can arrange for the Live help you  with your questions from   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies