turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used two cars to drive Uber last year and both were under my spouse's name, but my insurance was in both cars. Can I file both cars' vehicle expense?

I used two cars to drive Uber last year and both are under my spouse's name, but my insurance was in both cars. Can I file both cars' vehicle expense for deduction?

I had to use two cars due to the repairment times for either car.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I used two cars to drive Uber last year and both were under my spouse's name, but my insurance was in both cars. Can I file both cars' vehicle expense?

Yes, if you are filing as Married Filing Jointly.

I cannot do the joint filing since we are in J visas. So how can I file the vehicle rental fee since I used my husband's car for the business use? Or can I not file the rental fee, but just the gas, oil, and repairement, etc.?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim Vehicle Expenses for both cars that you used for Uber even though the titles are in your spouse's name, since you are legally married and residing in the same household.   .

TurboTax will ask in the Vehicle Expenses section whether you own the vehicle, and  you can indicate YES. 

Generally you will be better off claiming Standard Mileage rather than Actual Expenses for your rideshare business. 

TurboTax will guide you through entering all your vehicle expenses (including lease payments) to see which method gets you a higher deduction. 

Remember, though, that if you use Actual Expenses the first year of your business, you will need to continue using that method. 

Here's more detailed info to help you with Business Vehicle Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies