Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own a business selling aftermarket car parts. Are the parts I install on my own car for the purpose of advertising/promoting them to customers tax deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I own a business selling aftermarket car parts. Are the parts I install on my own car for the purpose of advertising/promoting them to customers tax deductible?

The IRS will never buy it. Parts removed from your inventory for personal use (and installing them on your own car is personal use, any way you look at it) are labeled as "removed for personal use." What you paid for those parts are not tax deductible by any stretch of the imagination.

Anonymous
Not applicable

those parts you put on the vehicle would add to its cost basis or be repairs. so if you legitimately use the vehicle in your business, ie take a tax deduction for using the vehicle in your business, then there would be a tax deduction based on business miles to total miles.  another caveat is who owns the vehicle you or the business.  it won't matter if you are a single-member LLC or sole proprietorship. if your business is a partnership and it owns it, the deduction would be at the partnership level while if you own it then it could be an additional schedule E deduction.  if owned by a corporation it would be a corporate deduction but if you own it then it would likely be a non-deductible employee expense.  the Corp could set up an accountable expense reimbursement plan and reimburse you per business mile base on IRS vehicle mileage allowance.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies