turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Zergon

I'm a bar manager - If I go out and try beers is that a valid expense?

Title pretty much says it all:

I'm a salaried bar manager and also have a love of beer. If I went to a brewery to sample their drinks with the hope of finding something to bring in to my bar would that be considered a valid expense? Or would it be better to look at my company reimbursing me for it?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No-----trying beers at other establishments is not deductible for you.  You say you are a salaried employee.   The tax laws dating from tax year 2018 say that W-2 employees cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal tax return.

W-2 employees cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal return.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a federal deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different in AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY or PA.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your employer can reimburse you on a tax-free basis, if your employer has an “accountable reimbursement plan” (which means you provide receipts to prove that the expenses are work-related) and assuming of course that the employer considers the expenses to actually be work-related.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies