turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bvs
Level 1

I have a disabled adult child receiving SSI only, separate housing, does he qualify as dependent, qualifying relative, qualifying child, for dependent or filing status

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I have a disabled adult child receiving SSI only, separate housing, does he qualify as dependent, qualifying relative, qualifying child, for dependent or filing status

You say he has separate housing.  That means he does not live with you. That means he cannot be your qualifying child (QC).

That means we go to the qualifying relative (QR) rules,  to see if he can be your dependent.  The support rule for a QR is different than for a QC.  For a QC it is that he did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. For a QR, it is that the taxpayer (you) provide more than half his support. So, his SSI income works against you, because it is third party (welfare) support and not support provide by you. 

Full rules at 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

It depends.  Generally to qualify as a dependent your child would have to live with you at least 1/2 of the year and you would have to provide more than 1/2 of their support.

Here are a couple of links that will help you determine if your child qualifies as a dependent:  IRS Children with Disabilities  Who Can I claim as a Dependent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bvs
Level 1

the links seem to address primarily earned income credit.  I'm trying to identify dependent and filing status.  I seem to find conflicting information and I also get confused.........  He has only SSI which tells me his SSI $$ don't count as income for tax purposes, but does it count for determining 50% expenses being pd by himself?  I found where SSI doesn't count since it is not considered his income, rather it is 'welfare'.  So would I be correct to assume that if welfare pays 1/2 or more of his expenses.....  I probably just answered my question, huh?  that if I don't pay over 1/2, regardless of where the money comes from to pay the other, I can't be H of H or dependent?  Thjanks.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You say he has separate housing.  That means he does not live with you. That means he cannot be your qualifying child (QC).

That means we go to the qualifying relative (QR) rules,  to see if he can be your dependent.  The support rule for a QR is different than for a QC.  For a QC it is that he did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. For a QR, it is that the taxpayer (you) provide more than half his support. So, his SSI income works against you, because it is third party (welfare) support and not support provide by you. 

Full rules at 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies