Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I can't edit real estate tax

Thanks for the workaround. Yes, I had the SAME problem last year, but forgot this is how WE (the paying customers) have to figure it out by going to other users for help. In my humble opinion, the TT software providers owe us a simple fix with the import process. In any case, they should at a minimum at least let the CUSTOMERS know how to enter the data with a pop up on the entry field. 

woodfordd
Returning Member

Thanks for the help. I went back to the mortgage section, cancelled the data, then started re-entering. I then noticed that there was a line requesting the real estate tax paid. When I moved to the tax section I found that the correct value had already been entered. Problem solved.

It was my error: I simply missed the question on the mortgage.

yz1
Level 1

I followed the workaround procedure, unfortunately it did not work for me. I double-clicked the field (where the "$0" is) per step 4a, a window pops up showing "Here is the information about your property tax you have entered so far". I don't see a Supporting details sheet. I don't have mortgage, and don't see Schedule A form such that I can't enter directly into the Schedule A form. Thanks for your help.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I understand that you don't have a mortgage, but there is a place in the Nortgae interest ebtry screen to post Real Estate taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yz1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply. In order to get to the page of mortgage, interest, and property tax, I will have to enter the lender first. Shall I just make up a name as lender? On the mortgage, interest, and property tax page, I need to enter the mortgage principal, and origination date, it allows me to enter zero as mortgage principal, but I have to make up a origination date. Is that we supposed to do? I don't feel so comfortable to enter the make-up information.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

This thread started last year. 

If you  are trying to edit the 1098, simply click Edit next to the 1098 you wish to edit. 

If you wish to enter property taxes not reported on a 1098, enter that under

Federal

Deductions & Credits

Scroll down to "Your Home" and click Show more

Scroll down to "Property (Real Estate) Taxes and click Start

A 1098 is not needed to report property taxes you paid. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yz1
Level 1

I don't have mortgage therefore I don't have 1098 form.

Clicking "Property Taxes" Start button brings to a blank page. I always entered my property tax by clicking the "property taxes" Start for many years in the past. However this button does not work in this year's version. Similarly, the "Car registration fee" Start button also takes to a blank page, such that I can't enter car registration fee either.   

@yz1 wrote:

I don't have mortgage therefore I don't have 1098 form.

Clicking "Property Taxes" Start button brings to a blank page. I always entered my property tax by clicking the "property taxes" Start for many years in the past. However this button does not work in this year's version. Similarly, the "Car registration fee" Start button also takes to a blank page, such that I can't enter car registration fee either.   

If you are using the TurboTax desktop editions on a Windows PC, then try this -

Save the tax return.  Close TurboTax

Right click on the TurboTax icon on the computer screen.

Click on Properties 

Click on the Compatibility tab

Click on Run program as an administrator

Click on Apply and then on OK

Start the TurboTax program.  The problem should be resolved.

yz1
Level 1

Thank you so much. The problem is solved. 

winnonrox

I followed the instructions under 4b from SteamTrain's instructions and then was able to enter my additional property taxes within the Supporting Details popup text box.

FYI, I'm using a MacBook Pro 2020 laptop.

Hi. And why running TTx as an Administration fixes a user interface input problem? 97% of the textboxes work w/o having to "run as admin"... what is the connection?

TIA

Nick

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@FederalInquirer

Exact issue I had today.  Workaround enter directly on the input field of Schedule A tax form withe the help of Heater who found this article. 

drupert

Double click the box to open the itemized entry form. It is definitely a flaw in the software. It should have been fixed long ago to do this. At least double-clicking works.

Still a problem in with 2022 return.

TT *really* needs to fix their user-interface!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies