turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am self employed and your website is not making it easy for me to input my deductions (travel receipts/supply receipts). I have already added $250 worth of your "tools"

I can not for the life of me find an area that will let me enter the receipts for all of the rides to and from work I took, after paying for all of these add ons just to be able to file as self employed I think I deserve an answer.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I am self employed and your website is not making it easy for me to input my deductions (travel receipts/supply receipts). I have already added $250 worth of your "tools"

You have two choices: enter at Business Travel or Other Expenses. I would use other expenses. That way, you can provide additional description, e,g, Uber rides.

"Rides to and from work" (commuting) are not deductible, even for the self employed.  Rides to an individual job site/ client visit  are deductible, unless that job site is your regular work place. 

You do not enter individual receipts.  You total them and enter by business expense category.  Keep your receipts, in case of an audit

TurboTax also has another free product called the Free File Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. It is not available after October 15

The Free file Edition can handle a 1099-MISC.

The Free file Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Free File Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot. 

For Free File Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

•      AGI of $36,000 or less
  •      or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2019 AGI of $69,000 or less
  •      or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREE FILE Edition is located at:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

How to switch and start over in Free file Edition
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You have two choices: enter at Business Travel or Other Expenses. I would use other expenses. That way, you can provide additional description, e,g, Uber rides.

"Rides to and from work" (commuting) are not deductible, even for the self employed.  Rides to an individual job site/ client visit  are deductible, unless that job site is your regular work place. 

You do not enter individual receipts.  You total them and enter by business expense category.  Keep your receipts, in case of an audit

TurboTax also has another free product called the Free File Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. It is not available after October 15

The Free file Edition can handle a 1099-MISC.

The Free file Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Free File Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot. 

For Free File Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

•      AGI of $36,000 or less
  •      or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2019 AGI of $69,000 or less
  •      or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREE FILE Edition is located at:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

How to switch and start over in Free file Edition
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

Carl
Level 15

Two things:
1) If you will use the program the way it is designed and intended to be used and read each screen (expecially the small print) as you go, it's practically impossible to miss anything.

2) I note you are using the online version of TurboTax. The CD/Desktop version that you install on your computer is significantly more user friendly and easier to navigate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies