turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am hosting an exchange student (F1 visa) and being paid money from the family for the hosting. Is this income counted as regular income tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am hosting an exchange student (F1 visa) and being paid money from the family for the hosting. Is this income counted as regular income tax?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@mmorrison5 , as a general matter, "It Depends".

If the payment is for a fixed sum agreed  (for the purposes of defraying the additional cost), then it is income to you and taxed as such ( "Other income" with no self-employment taxes ).  

If you are in the business of hosting ( students  and/or others ) then the income can be recognized on schedule-C and allowable expenses can offset the income -- self-employment taxes also apply

If payment was gift ( i.e. there was no agreement  and/no requirement to pay but the guest family wanted to help), then it is NOT income and therefore not taxable, even if the family is foreign.

That is my view/opinion.

pk

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies