turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA account closed- how to transfer money

My HSA account was closed by bank for inactivity. Unfortunately they have been sending all the communications to my closed account and they put my account as "Account Escheated". When I contacted my bank they sent me the check of remaining balance. Now I don't know what to do with this remaining balance to avoid the penalty.

I've HDHP plan through my spouse who has a HSA account under her name. My question is that if I can transfer my check to her HSA account and if that will help me in avoiding penalty. If yes, how can I do it? Should I deposit check to my checking account, and then transfer money to my spouse's HSA account? Would that work? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

No, you are not permitted to deposit the money into your spouse's HSA.

To avoid the distribution from you old HSA being a distribution subject to tax and likely early-distribution penalty you must either apply the distribution to qualified medical expenses or open a new HSA in your name and within 60 days of receipt deposit the money into the new account as a rollover contribution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

No, you are not permitted to deposit the money into your spouse's HSA.

To avoid the distribution from you old HSA being a distribution subject to tax and likely early-distribution penalty you must either apply the distribution to qualified medical expenses or open a new HSA in your name and within 60 days of receipt deposit the money into the new account as a rollover contribution.

Thanks for your response. However I am currently enrolled under my spouse's health insurance plan. Can I still open an HSA account in my name? Looking online it says, I should have my own HDHP in order to have an HSA account.  

dmertz
Level 15

Any individual can open an HSA to receive an eligible rollover from another of that individual's HSAs.

Correct ... you open the account to receive the rollover NOT to make new contributions which you are referring to in the post.  They are NOT the same thing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies