turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lyndsay_n

How do you correct the elect out of SDA should be blank. It states this asset is not Qualified property for the special depreciation allowance

I have tried all 3 options and still get the error... No Entry, Elect OUT of SDA, Yes and Elect  Out of SDA, No
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How do you correct the elect out of SDA should be blank. It states this asset is not Qualified property for the special depreciation allowance

I am having the exact same problem. I can't find any information about how to fix this. I'm "answering" this question in hopes you have already found a solution. If not, I have a call scheduled with somebody from TurboTax today. Hopefully they will help get it sorted and I can give a proper answer. 

KCody63
Returning Member

Did you receive an answer on how to fix?

Try deleting the asset and enter it again.

I suspect that at least one cause of this is when you indicate it was one category, then later changed it to a different category.

topawah

Manually uncheck all boxes related to the question shown after you run the check for errors.

No, to correct the error, "the elect out of SDA should be Blank", delete the Asset Entry Worksheet for the asset that is not Qualified property.

IRS Pub. 946 pages 22-23 states, "You can take a special depreciation allowance to recover part of the cost of qualified property placed in service during the tax year. The allowance applies only for the first year you place the property in service. The allowance is an additional deduction you can take after any section 179 deduction and before you figure regular depreciation under MACRS for the year you place the property in service.

Qualified property is one of the following.

• Qualified reuse and recycling property. 

• Certain qualified property acquired after September 27, 2017. 

• Certain plants bearing fruits and nuts."

To enter Special Depreciation for an asset, follow the steps below:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. Federal > Wages & Income > Self-employment income and expenses.
  3. Edit/Add.
  4. Select line of work>Edit.
  5. Expenses >Asset>Start.
  6. On the screen, "Any Large Purchases (Depreciable Assets)? > "Yes".
  7. On the screen, " Did you buy any items…", > "No".
  8. Continue.
  9. On the screen, "Describe This Asset", select the option.
  10. Continue answering questions.
  11. On the screen, "How do You Want …)?, select of depreciation.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If we did it this way, wouldn't we then have to re-enter all of the expenses associated with that asset for the current tax year? It seems like a lot of work to fix this problem.

Well, that worked.  I deleted the worksheet and gone.  

However, I have no idea what I did or what that means.  

Thanks for getting me past the errors loop, but it makes me nervous that it was that easy.

Manage cookies