turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dandjay

How do I take a child off my filed taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

To take your child off of your tax return you will need to file an amended return with the IRS and State, depending on where you live.

To file an amended return your original return needs to be accepted by the IRS then when it becomes available when you log into your TurboTax account you will see the option to file an amended return.

Follow the steps to remove your child from the return.  Once you have completed all of the changes to your return, then you need to print, sign, date, and mail the amended return to the IRS and State (if you filed a state return) according to the instructions that will print out with the amended return.

If the child is going to file their own return they will not be able to file until your amended return has been processed.  This often takes 8-16 weeks.

Link with video on How to File an Amended Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
avery0522

What if my taxes were not excepted how do I take the child off my forms

avery0522

My taxes were rejected because someone else filed child

@avery0522 wrote:

My taxes were rejected because someone else filed child

Then you will have to print and mail the 2020 federal tax return to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed.  You still claim the child as your dependent on the tax return.  The IRS will send you any tax refund shown on the tax return.  Within a year the IRS will send you and the other party a notices to investigate this issue.  The losing party in the investigation has to pay back any refund associated with the dependent along with other penalties and interest.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Was the other return right to claim the child?  Or should you be claiming her?   If child qualifies as your dependent you can print and mail your return and claim them.   

To delete a dependent go to My Info and delete them there. Can you get back into your return?

@avery0522 wrote:

What if my taxes were not excepted how do I take the child off my forms

If you improperly claimed the child as a dependent then click on My Info on the left side of the online program screen.  Delete the child as a dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies