turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arj1y36

How do i report salaried income from a foreign employer where there is no w-2 form?

i am being asked to enter employer ID number but the employer is residing outside the united states and therefore the information is different
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do i report salaried income from a foreign employer where there is no w-2 form?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You don't need a W-2 or a 1099 to report foreign income. Don't enter a W-2 in TurboTax if you did not receive a W-2. You can't make up a form that you did not actually receive.

See the answers to your earlier question for instructions to enter your foreign salary. If you have further questions about entering your salary, please add a reply to the other thread. Do not post any more separate questions about entering your foreign income. It's too confusing and hard to follow, and hard to see the whole picture, if information is scattered in multiple threads.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-how-do-i-enter-salaried-incom...

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@arj1y36 , from looking at the current  post ( and responses by @Critter-3  and @rjs   thereto ) and looking at some of the  referred earlier posts by you, I am not sure  that I understand the situation clearly ( may be it is just my small and inefficient brain ) and so I  list below  what I see here :

(a) You , a US person ( citizen/Green Card ? resident for tax purposes ), have  foreign source income.

(b) you are employee of the foreign source payor .

(b) there is no W-2 or  similar information return shared with the IRS / State.

Assuming that you are  residing in a  foreign country, i.e. your tax home is abroad, your income  would be considered as self-employment  and reported as such  for US tax purposes ( reported on Schedule-C ).  Note that this assumes that while there  may be a tax treaty between US and that country  there is no Social Security ( Totalization ) agreement in place.  It also assumes that the employer that you are working  ( foreign) for  has no US presence. i.e.  does not pay any part of your salary in the USA , under US tax laws.

The  reason for the above is because as an US person  you are taxed on your world income  and also subject  to Social Security / Medicare taxes  on that income.

Also note that in such a case ( assuming that the above assumptions are valid ), your foreign income is eligible for  Foreign earned income exclusion  and/or foreign tax credit.  So it is not all bad.

On the other hand , if your tax home is in the USA, then while the foreign income is considered  self-employed ( schedule-C reporting ) the source of the income is considered US ( because the work is done in the USA ) and  can only be taxed by the USA.

Does this make sense?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies