turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How Do I fill out for Section 179?

Where is the "EasyStep" for filling out the form for a Section 179 vehicle deduction? I went to the part for "Business Vehicle Expense" but when I put in the cost of the vehicle, it didn't ask me if I wanted to take a Section 179 deduction or even have me do a standard depreciation of the vehicle. In "Business Assets" you are asked about Section 179, but vehicles are excluded from that section. So my question is, where do I go to get my Section 179 deduction for a vehicle? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

When you enter the vehicle in the Business Vehicle Expense section, continue through the interview until you reach the Standard Mileage Deduction Screen, click the radio button the says “Yes, I’d like to see if my actual expenses give me a bigger deduction.”

(Since you already entered the vehicle, you can get to this screen by clicking edit next to the vehicle.)

Continue through the interview, and if you’re eligible, a screen will ask “How much do you want to deduct for the business use of this vehicle?”

Near the center of this screen is where you would enter the Section 179 Deduction.  

Enter the amount you wish to claim.

Continue and select the method you wish to use.

If you choose “Actual” you cannot switch back to the Standard rate in the future for that vehicle.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply. I did all that but it still does not go to the Section 179 form. I know I'm eligible  for the deduction. My business miles are more than 50 percent of the total miles. I'm not using it as a cab, etc. What else could be wrong? Maybe a glitch with the software?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Was this vehicle purchased (new to you, not necessarily a brand new vehicle) in 2019? 

The 179 Deduction may only be taken the first year the asset is placed into service. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes it was. It seems the software is making a mathematical error. I've let TurboTax know but so far no one has gotten back to me.

From what I've heard, deleting the vehicle and then re-adding it will often fix it.

Thank you! I'll try that!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies