Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rsb55
Returning Member

Home Mortgage interest not transferred from worksheet to Sch A

I entered home mortgage interest, and it shows on the worksheet, but 0 appears on that line in Sch A.  I am taking the standard federal deduction, but the 0 home interest payment carries to the California forms, where I should be able to use the home mortgage interest deduction.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Even if you didn't get your home mortgage interest deduction on Schedule A because you didn't have enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction, TurboTax will automatically transfer the itemized deductions you entered in the Federal return to the California return. Complete the California return interview and answer any applicable questions about items on your Federal return that California may treat differently.

California Schedule CA will display all of the items on your Federal return that result in either an Addition or a Subtraction on your California return. The California standard deductions are lower (Single or married/Registered Domestic Partner (RDP) filing separately $5,202; Married/RDP filing jointly, head of household, or qualifying widow(er) $10,404) than the Federal standard deductions.

Check your entries in the Federal return to confirm that they are all correct. For example, if you entered that your home loan isn't secured by your home, the interest wouldn't be deductible. See here for more information from the IRS.

You can preview your returns before filing to find out how your taxes were calculated. See here for details. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There must be an error in TurboTax software since mortgage interest added in "Easy Steps" does not transfer to Schedule A even if I am eligible for itemized deduction but just inserting mortgage interest in Schedule A manually, by hand , Turbo tax accept that and show no errors at review.  Again TurboTax software must have a bug

NC25
Level 1

I'm having the same issue.  I tried deleting the mortgage information and re-entering, but still not showing up on Schedule A.  Software will not let me adjust schedule A manually,  Is this a bug that will be fixed?

I have the same issue.  The mortgage interest does not carry to Schedule A no matter how often entered and whether or not the standard or itemized deductions apply.   I cannot override - if I override I cannot electronically file.  This bug need to be fixed!

TaurboTax hs a note that I found they they KNOW THEY have an issue transferring allowable mortgage interest to Schedule A.  There is a signup to get updates from TurboTax as to timing or when corrected, 

I signed up for notifications today, but I have heard nothing.  A call to TurboTax Resolutions was also without an answer/update on timing for when Mortgage Interest transfer will be fixed.

I am sorry that I do not have the TT link for notification sign-up.

TurboTax has a note that I found they they KNOW THEY have an issue transferring allowable mortgage interest to Schedule A.  There is a signup to get updates from TurboTax as to timing or when corrected, 

I signed up for notifications today, but I have heard nothing.  A call to TurboTax Resolutions was also without an answer/update on timing for when Mortgage Interest transfer will be fixed.

I am sorry that I do not have the TT link for notification sign-up.

This is a new problem, because the  earlier returns I did correctly transferred Mortgage Interest Deduction from worksheet to Schedule A.  Odd, but who knows why.  TT say only affecting some versions.  I am using Premier FYI.  So that may at least one of the versions being effected. 

You can override, but will you be able to file with an active Override

I am using Deluxe version and had the problem , but was able to insert manually into the worksheet. No terrors at both federal and state  reviews.

Josef

Reply I received :

Hi GSD77,

MichaelG81 (Employee Tax Expert) posted a new reply in Deductions & credits on February 27, 2023 5:17 PM:

Re: Mortgage Interest not Showing on Schedule A

This is a confirmed issue that is actively being resolved. Thank you for your patience. Please click here to sign up for updates when resolved.

@JG532

Removed hyperlinks in order to post

jjmcc

I am having this issue as well.  Mortgage interest isnt transferring to sch A or being reflected in the tax owed.  I see that it is a known problem but when will it be resolved?  Obviously, it is time sensitive as I intended to file my taxes this weekend.  Can I sign up for updates at least?

Somewhere in thread there was a hyperlink to sign up for updates.  I suggest scrolling.

If you mortgage is simple, that is not subject to any limitations I suspect you could enter interest deduction on Schedule A through OVERRIDE process (right click on box *a on Schedule  and override).  I do not know if TurboTax will let you file with an override.

Probably will also work with limited mortgage interest deductions from worksheet, but didn't have any in family this year 

The response related to updates with hyperlink came from:

MichaelG81

@jjmcc wrote:

I am having this issue as well.  Mortgage interest isnt transferring to sch A or being reflected in the tax owed.  I see that it is a known problem but when will it be resolved?  Obviously, it is time sensitive as I intended to file my taxes this weekend.  Can I sign up for updates at least?

Go to this TurboTax support FAQ to sign up to be notified when this problem has been corrected - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/mortgage-loan/mortgage-interest-flowing-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies