turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax bargain sale. entered the sales price and basis. The charitable donation amount should be the difference, but Turbo Tax shows the sales amount as the deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Tax bargain sale. entered the sales price and basis. The charitable donation amount should be the difference, but Turbo Tax shows the sales amount as the deduction.

Giving Property That Has Increased in Value

If you contribute property with a fair market value (FMV) that is more than your basis in it, you may have to reduce the fair market value by the amount of appreciation (increase in value) when you figure your deduction.

Your basis in property is generally what you paid for it. If you need more information about basis, see Pub. 551.

Different rules apply to figuring your deduction, depending on whether the property is:

• Ordinary income property, or

• Capital gain property. - Amount of deduction—General rule. When figuring your deduction for a contribution of capital gain property, you generally can use the FMV of the property.

For exceptions to the general rule, to confirm you are allowed the full FMV you can click this link: IRS Publication 526 Charitable Contributions

If you actually sold property and then turned the money over to the charitable organization, then you have to report the sale and then take the contribution deduction.

Please add a comment if you have questions.
Herb57

I am working with the Premium version of TurboTax and it appears there is no way to enter a bargain sale to charity. I have a 8263 form all filled out and there is absolutely no way to enter the information and generate a proper 8263 form. All it will generate is a worksheet that is pretty much worthless. Very frustrating. 

Herb57

I meant form 8283.

m_a_c_e

Error is still present for 2019.

Claimed deduction should be the diff in the FMV and the bargain sale.  Still showing claimed deduction as the full FMV.  Unsure how this is impacting things.

art32
Returning Member

I have the same problem but I think you mean Form 8283.  There is a work sheet but  it doesn't allow me to enter the data wanted on 8283

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Form 8283 for Non-Cash Charitable Donations has not yet been finalized by the IRS.

The scheduled date is 1/20/2022.

Click this link for a listing of Federal Tax Form Availability

@art32

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
art32
Returning Member

Same problem re Bargain Sale.  Work sheet won't allow a bargain sale and program won't allow direct entry in the 8283

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@art32 see the answer from @DianeW above.  

It is a good idea to first clear your cache and cookies - which means removing all of the temporary programs that can gum up your web browser.  If that doesn't work, try using a different web browser.

If that doesn't work I would recommend using the "Live Expert" help in the right upper corner to see if having someone walk you through helps.

Here is a link on how to clear your cache and cookies.

Here is a link to finding a TurboTax expert.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies