turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1040 Safe harbor for 2020 Tax year

Turbo Tax Premier seems to ignore the Safe Harbor Rule (pay 100% of previous year's tax) when calculating tax. I clearly qualify, the two year summary shows my 2019 numbers, yet TT simply calculated my tax including a penalty.

What am I missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Here is one possible reason.

Penalty figured separately for each required payment.

The penalty is figured separately for each installment due date. Therefore, you may owe the penalty for an earlier due date even if you paid enough tax later to make up the underpayment. This is true even if you’re due a refund when you file your tax return. However, you may be able to reduce or eliminate the penalty by using the annualized income installment method. 

Penalty

Thanks ColeenD3

After a bunch of digging around I found that I could fill out form 2210AI in the forms view and make the penalty go away since my payments each quarter were commensurate with the taxable income for that quarter.  It would be helpful however if the step-by-step view of TT, in the spirit of "We will get you the biggest refund", at least had a suggestion along the lines of "You currently owe a penalty of $XXX. You may be able to reduce the penalty by using the annualized income installment method. See NNNN for details".

Even better would be an option in the step-by-step mode to populate 2210 and 2210AI

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies