turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forgot to add my 1099! Help, please!

So given that I completed a rollover (in 2020) from my old 401k custodian to my new 401k custodian, and forgot to input the 1099 from the old 401k custodian to my 2020 taxes, do I HAVE to file an amended tax return?   

What if I don't?   Will the IRS come get me?

Can I just not file an amended tax return and wait for the CP2000 to arrive and that's when I can send them my new 401k custodian's statement that says that I've indeed rolled it over?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If you e-filed, do not do anything, until your return is accepted and you receive your refund. IRS have a way of correcting minor mistakes, missing forms, etc. If your form 1099-R has it a direct rollover, you should be ok. If it does not, and says distribution, you might have to file an amended to set everything straight. sending IRS letter explaining- not going to do anything, they work only with tax returns. So your plan will be:1. wait until IRS accepts 2. wait for a refund. 3. wait for the letter- if IRS corrects and no action needed- you will get a letter. if you get a lesser of a refund- you need to file an amended showing a rollover.

If you filed using TurboTax, your amended is free.

Good luck

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Because it is a 1099G that was rolled over, the IRS probably won't even send you a letter. If you took the money into your hands and you rolled it over, the IRS will send you a letter saying you owe money - in 3 years with penalties and interest. 

So, if you took the money into your hands, it would be advised to do an amended return. Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled, you can file an amended return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AmyC Wait I received a 1099-R, not a 1099-G?    Do I still need to file an amended return?

What if I don't? Will the IRS come get me?   

Can I just want until the CP2000 gets sent to me so that I can provide a Statement of my current 401k custodian showing that it was indeed rolled over, and thus not "cashed out"?

Thanks so much!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Hahaha, we both did it! Yes, a rollover is on a 1099-R, box 7, probably code G, maybe an H. IF the money was rolled over with a code G or H, then you don't need to worry. If box 7 has a number like 1 or 2, where it says you got the money, then you need to let the IRS know that you rolled it over.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies