Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First stimulus payment not received. How to write it off?

I qualified for the first stimulus payment in 2020 but never received it. I found information online stating to write this amount off but I cannot figure out where using your service. Please direct me to the exact spot where I need to enter this information. thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

You do not enter it per se. Rather, during the interview, the program asks if you received it.  If not, it applies it as a Recovery Rebate Credit on Form 1040, line 30.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Enter a 0 in the box if you didn't get one.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30.  It either adds to your refund or reduced a tax due.

Tried these two and did not see a question about a stimulus. After the review it just takes me to state.

1. enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

2. If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

Not sure what you mean by this below unless I am able to manually enter the amount into the form and I don't see a way to access the forms until the entire return is complete.

"The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30.  It either adds to your refund or reduced a tax due."

If your 2020 income is too high you won't get prompted for the Stimulus section since you can't qualify for any more.  And you don't have to enter what you already got and don't have to pay it back.  1040 line 30 is only if you qualify for more not what you already got.

Or are you being claimed as a dependent?

Forgot to mention that I received the 2nd stimulus but not the first one. Will I have the ability to specify this?

Im not being claimed as a dependent and the 2020 stimulus is based on 2019 income. I qualify based on 2019 income. What my wife and I receive this year should have no affect on the stimulus paid this year. If I am incorrect please point me in the direction of that information because nothing I've read mentions anything about 2020 income. Also, since I receive the 2nd payment I should have received the first since they were both based on the same tax year.

Yes if you get the Stimulus screen with 2 boxes to enter what you already got for each one.  How much is your AGI for 2020? It is now based on your 2020 AGI.  

If you did not get prompted to enter your stimulus information, that means you either:

1. Filed as a dependent being claimed on another tax return, or 
  2. have an AGI too high to claim the recovery rebate

To get to the stimulus questions in TurboTax at any time, you can search for stimulus and use the Jump to link.  Generally, if you have adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns and surviving spouses, you will receive the full amount of the recovery rebate.  For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced. 

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

Sorry if you do not qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit because of your 2020 tax situation then you will not be able to get the missed stimulus payment.

The Recovery rebate credit is really based on your 2020 AGI, not 2019 or 2018.  See my posts on this one.  I found a couple IRS links that say if you don't qualify  for more based on 2020 and you don't have to pay it back if you got too much.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/recovery-rebate-tax-credit/00/17...

And see the employee expert answer here

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/recovery-rebate-credit-stimulus-incorrect/00/1942...

She said......

If you do not qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit because of your 2020 tax situation then you will not be able to get the missed stimulus payment.

Ok, so based on our 2019 income we (wife and I) qualified for the two stimulus payments paid out in 2020. If we had received the checks as we should have we would have had this money in our pockets and owe nothing back to the IRS...

..But since we made too much in 2020 their error in not sending the money that we were entitled to is just our tough luck.

Is this correct? If yes this is absolutely illogical and borderline criminal...but thats for another conversation

You have been very helpful and I appreciate that. Any dissatisfaction I have with is directed 100% to the US Gov't and NOT Intuit/Turbo Tax

Yes the Stimulus payments were advances on your 2020 return.  But to get them out fast they used your 2018 or 2019 return. 

The IRS doesn't seem to have a specific FAQ addressing that.  The closest I can find is IRS question Q B3 here, Change in Eligibility

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit-topic-b-eligibility

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies