turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions for self-employment: Can I claim all meals (50% deduction) as one lump sum? Or do I have to enter each meal expense separately?

I am self employed. I have calculated a total dollar amount on meals purchased during work. I don't want to take the time to enter each purchase. Can I simply enter the sum total?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Deductions for self-employment: Can I claim all meals (50% deduction) as one lump sum? Or do I have to enter each meal expense separately?

You can enter a sum total.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@gavin-n-keens wrote:
I am self employed. I have calculated a total dollar amount on meals purchased during work.

Just to clarify ... "meals purchased during work" are not a tax deduction.

Business meals with clients or customers can be a deduction.

Meals when you are out-of-town overnight are a tax deduction.

Otherwise, your personal meals are not a deduction.

bevital

One says yes . . . one says no . . . coin flip? Can self employed deduct their meals. I.e. can Uber Drivers expense their meals while working?

NO Uber drivers cannot claim meal expenses while working.   

What tax information can I import from Uber?

You can import your Uber income info which includes the following:

·         1099-MISC Form

·         1099-K Form

Your mileage, tolls, and other expense info from your Uber Tax Summary won’t be imported. We have instructions on how to enter your expenses from your Uber Tax Summary.

Related Information:

·         How does importing from Uber work?

·         How do I import my income information from Uber?

·         How do I enter my expenses from my Uber Tax Summary into TurboTax Self-Employed Online?

·         What self-employed expenses can I deduct?

Tax Tips for Uber, Lyft, Sidecar and other Car Sharing Drivers FAQ

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Self-Employment-Taxes/Tax-Tips-for-Uber--Lyft--Sideca... 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-can-i-apply-my-uber-discount-to-my-turbo...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-management/help/why-isn-t-my-lyft-discount-being-applied-t...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies