Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SC732
Returning Member

Business Expense Deduction not working

Hi,

In the Business Expense section: Turbo Tax shows - Home Office Expense: $5000 and Other common business expense: $1000.

However, it is not actually deducting from my Federal Tax outstanding. Any idea why this is not working?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Expenses and deductions do not  directly reduce your tax due.  They can only reduce your income to zero.  Then  after you reduce your income to zero there is no more refund to get back but you still may owe for other things like self employment tax or the 10% early withdrawal penalty from 401k or IRA accounts. 

Some expenses, such as home office or section 179 depreciation can only be used to reduce your schedule C taxable income to zero, and not to create a loss. Excess deductions for these carry over to the next year. And you have to answer yes to both questions about exclusive and regular use, not just one. The area of your home office must be used regularly and exclusively for business to deduct it.

Or you checked the box on 32b saying Some Investment is Not at Risk.

SC732
Returning Member

Sorry, I was not very clear with my question. Here is the problem I am having:

In Turbo Tax "Business Income and Expense" Section, there is a sub section "Business Expense" where I Turbo Tax is  showing $5000 deduction and when I complete the Business Income and Expense section Turbo Tax says "Congratulation you get $5000 deduction". However nothing is getting deducted from my Federal tax return and when it shows me the 2020 Business Income deduction the amount is 0. So, I do not understand what is going on? 

Does this make sense?

What is the net profit or loss on schedule C line 31?  If you have a loss is box 32a checked or 32b?  I probably covered it in my second paragraph above.  

SC732
Returning Member

line 31 = 0

line 32 a is checked

As I said Home Office expenses are limited.  They only can reduce your net profit to zero and not create a loss.  

See Pub 587 page 9 for Home deduction limits
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p587.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies