Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bug? Mortgage interest deduction zeroing out

I put in my 1098 information and I can see my tax due decrease. My mortgage balance is just over $1M, but it was taken out in early 2017 before the TCJA reduced the limit down to $750k. In any case, I answered the supplemental questions so TurboTax can automatically adjust/reduce the interest eligible to be deducted (a nice improvement from 2020).

Then TurboTax says I might be qualify for a bigger deduction if the original loan was taken out before 12/15/17 and the balance hasn't increased due to a cash out refinance. This is true for me, so I answer Yes. Then TurboTax recalculates and zeroes out my mortgage interest deduction. (I can see that in the wrap up page when it says the standard deduction is best.)  That doesn't make any sense. If I click No, then I can see on the wrap up page that the appropriate amount of mortgage interest is used for my itemized deductions.

Has anyone else seen this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Normally this will clear by deleting the form 1098 and re-entering the form information.  Follow these steps.

1. "Deductions & Credits" tab
  2. "Edit"  "Mortgage" topic
  3. "Delete" trashcan the form 1098
  4. "Yes" and "Continue"
  5. Scroll to "Your Home" section
  6. "Revisit" "Mortgage" topic
  7. "Yes"
  8. "Change how I enter"
  9. "Type it myself"
  10. Lender name
  11. Make a selection and "Continue"
  12. Enter your form information.  Verify box 3 has mortgage origination date pre-12/17
  13. "Continue"
  14. Make selection and "Continue"
  15. "Yes" Most recent 1098 for the loan
  16. "Yes" original loan or "No" as applicable
  17. Continue and Continue
  18. "Review"
  19. Enter the final loan balance for 2021 (or beginning balance for 2022)
  20. No date since not paid off in 2021
  21. "Yes" since before 12/17
  22. Enter date (should be the same as your box 3)
  23. "Continue" and "Continue"
  24. "Wrap up tax breaks"
  25. "Show Breakdown of  Itemized deductions"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Nope, doesn't work. The only way TurboTax allows ANY mortgage interest deduction is if I answer "No" to your step 21. I originally answered Yes and used the actual home acquisition date (in 2005), but went through your steps and used the Box 3 date instead (date of refinance in August 2017). Same result - zero allowance for mortgage interest.

If it works for you on a typical (smaller) loan, I suspect you have a bug related to the automatic calculation of allowable interest for loans >$1M. When I answer No in step 21 (and everything else is the same), the exact right amount is allowed (which is less than the total interest paid) for my itemized deductions. This is a very expensive error for TurboTax customers.

Funny because this year it worked for me - after I applied their old solution of deleting the 1098 and starting the section over again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies