turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sarbles

Bought a Zero Electric motorcycle in 2018. When I did 2018 taxes the motorcycle did not qualify for a tax credit. This changed in 2019 can I get the credit retroactively?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Bought a Zero Electric motorcycle in 2018. When I did 2018 taxes the motorcycle did not qualify for a tax credit. This changed in 2019 can I get the credit retroactively?

You will have to prepare an amended return for the year you purchased the motorcycle to see if the credit will benefit you in that year. If you cannot use the full credit in 2018, you can carry over the unused portion to 2019.

You can prepare an amended return in TurboTax by following these instructions:

1. Log into your TurboTax program

2. Find "Your Tax Return & Documents" on your home page

3. Click on the "Show" option

4. Select the year you want to amend

5. You will see an option to "Amend(change)" the return for that year.

6. Just follow the instructions to start the amend process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried that. It doesn't work for me. TurboTax for 2018 says that "...your vehicle is not qualified" because it was purchased after 12/31/2017.

I tried the deduction in TurboTax for 2019 and it works if you say that the vehicle was put into service in 2019, but not if you purchased and put it into service in 2018. BUT that would be falsifying the return, so I can't do that. 

SO, is TurboTax going to update form 8936 for the 2018 software??

@speedreamn wrote:

I tried that. It doesn't work for me. TurboTax for 2018 says that "...your vehicle is not qualified" because it was purchased after 12/31/2017.

I tried the deduction in TurboTax for 2019 and it works if you say that the vehicle was put into service in 2019, but not if you purchased and put it into service in 2018. BUT that would be falsifying the return, so I can't do that. 

SO, is TurboTax going to update form 8936 for the 2018 software??

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/2018-extenders-passed-under-taxpayer-certainty-and...

Thanks @DoninGA 

This has been KILLING me. I even went to HR Block to see if they could help, but I didn't have faith and they wanted $200 to do it. I ALMOST decided to go back to paper after 20+ years of using TurboTax. So hard to find clear correct information. Thank you. 

Did you ever get an answer from Turbo Tax?  Having same problem with motorcycle tax credit.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

You'll be able to claim the credit retroactively, once the software is updated.

The projected timeframe is mid-March for the relevant updates.  Please see 2018 Extenders passed under Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019 for details and the opportunity to sign up for email alerts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My Turbo Tax 2018 Software was able to get the updates for this credit this morning. I finished my amended return and printed it out this morning. Fingers crossed for the accepted return and a check in a few months!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies