turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Briana_5

Accidentally claimed my child

I accidentally claimed my daughter when it should have been her fathers year to claim her. How do I know how much money I should owe him? Or is there a way to fix this? I have already received my tax return. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You should file an amended return and remove your daughter from your return.  Her father won't be able to e-file and claim your daughter, until your amended return has been processed.  He can either file by mail, or wait until you have amended your return and it has been processed by the IRS.

To amend in TurboTax, click on  How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Taxes are complicated. There isn't a simple formula for calculating that amount.

You both have to prepare your returns both ways and compare the results.  That's hard to do with the online software.

The two main elements of the child benefits are the child tax credit (Up to $2000) and the Earned Income Credit (looked up in a table)

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/earned_income_credit_table_1040i.pdf  

You could try this tool, for comparisons: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1

This year there's the additional complication of the stimulus payment. Alternating year parents both get it, but if one of you claims the child both 2019 and 2020, only she gets it. That's $1100.  Amending may be best.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies