turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A friend is unemployed but filing jointly with her employed husband. If I claim the $240 I paid her for my childcare credit does she have to claim it on her tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

A friend is unemployed but filing jointly with her employed husband. If I claim the $240 I paid her for my childcare credit does she have to claim it on her tax return?

No, the IRS requires that all income individual  receives is reported on their tax return.  The $400 you refer to is the limit under which a self-employed individual does not have to file self-employment taxes.  Your friend has to report her income from babysitting on her tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomK100
Expert Alumni

Babysitting income is self-employment income and should be included on your tax return. The IRS requires you to file if you had at least $400 in net earnings from self-employment (income minus expenses).  

It's under $400 so she doesn't need to claim it right? I'm asking because she already filed with her husband (her $0 income and his income from his job) and I get $50 from my child care tax credit if I include it in my list of childcare expenses but I don't want her to get audited if I put her down and she hasn't claimed the income.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, the IRS requires that all income individual  receives is reported on their tax return.  The $400 you refer to is the limit under which a self-employed individual does not have to file self-employment taxes.  Your friend has to report her income from babysitting on her tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies