Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2021 Form 1116 Schedule B (carryovers) can't efile

@JES33 @HK-NYC 

Finder, Preferences, Advanced, check "Show all filename extensions" on MacBook.

JACC
Returning Member

I had that issue also two weeks ago. However, today TT had the latest update which included Form 1116 Schedule B. I simply had to walk through the Foreign Tax Credit section so the Form would correctly attach 1116 to 1116 Sched B. I was able to e-mail without any issues.

@Sonnyof42 @HK-NYC Mystery solved.  Thanks for you help.

Wonderful!  More problems this morning.

Got the 3/18/22 Update, thought I was good to go; no errors during review, Carry over credit intact; everything looked good.  Went through all the hoops to verify I'm me; paid the extra for State (Indiana), and got to the Transmit Returns Now page..... clicked the button, thinking all was good.... says "Transmitting Returns"... only to stay on this page.  The button to Transmit Returns Now is still active!  Clicked it a second time, same result.  TT acts as if it is transmitting; but the page stays the same and the button remains active to Transmit Returns Now.

What gives?  Have I electronically transmitted Twice?  or not at all?
Stalling, as I was hoping I might get an email confirming my transmitting?  Not yet...10 minutes.

Wait, it gets better!

Called Tech Support; after 15 minutes of trying what limited ideas they had, I was told to print & mail in my return!  At which point I said, don't you think a refund for TT is due?  Or at the least a partial refund?  The agent agreed and sent me a link/form to request the refund.

They did the screen share, and could see "Transmitting Returns", yet the button remained and TT didn't advance to the next screen.

So, after their attempts, I rebooted, still didn't work.  About the only idea I have, is to stall a day or two... .but the agent didn't seem optimistic it would make a difference.

So in my refund request, I'm going to ask for the TT Program cost, PLUS the $25 e-file fee for my State, that was never e-filed.

What a cluster....

@MishawakaKirk TT should probably give you way more than a refund of the cost.  After all, your time is worth money too.  Everyone who had these issues that were so time consuming are owed, at the very least, a public apology and free software for 2022 (that is if we still want to use TT).  On a positive note, I was able to e-file last Saturday but was afraid that this morning's update would change my return and I would have to file an amendment.  I was preparing myself; however, as far as I can tell, my federal and state returns remained unchanged and my refund is still on the way.  Hope you have success in the next day or two.

I files on the 12th March, after the form became available, MY RETURN  REJECTED. 

Turbo Tax said that would be corrected on March 18 update.

March 18 Update was uploaded this morning. I updated the  return and resubmitted it.

My return once again rejected. Reason Form 1116 schedule B.

As far as I can see this form does not change my return numbers in any way.

Turbotax guarantees correct returns, acceptable to the IRS.

I would suggest someone get together with the IRS and figure out how to make the return work in the normal process. A.S.A.P.

This is not as promised! Turbotax needs to make these returns acceptable with a normal E File!

Update 03/19/2022- Tried to link the form, could not find anyway to do this, since Schedule B is totally populated by TT. submitted for E file twice more on the 18th. Rejected twice more. Tried again on the 19th. Waiting for rejection. One would think that TT would have some contact with IRS to resolve this form/computer issue. Costs IRS more to process paper returns, violates TT guarantee for "Acceptable Returns".

Update 03/20/2020

After 3 more E File Rejections, gave Up printed returns and mailed them to IRS. Asked for E File Money Back and TT Money Back. Have spent 3 weeks waiting for this issue to be resolved. Spent countless hours trying to get to E file. Disgusting!

hoedib1-

Same situation exactly. Using TTax Mac Desktop Home & Business, filed March 13 and got rejected.  Updated today, revisited the Foreign Tax Credit sections as instructed, re-filed and was rejected again.  The only difference between the previous forms and the latest ones are the version dates on the bottom:Rev 03/12/22 vs 03/07/22 (no differences in entries or calculations).  Thanks to anyone for workarounds or suggestions.

Should we not be asking for refunds?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-request-a-refund-for-my-turbotax-product/...

[email address removed]

I’m sure your office is getting inundated with similar issues from other users. So, I’m a bit sorry to be adding and compounding your issues.

I’ve already completed the process to request a refund, but I believe the on-line refund process to be lacking.  And I’m doubtful this email will change that.

My refund request is for $94.99 and I included the proper verification (copies of my receipts)
This consists of a Costco receipt for $69.99 and an Intuit Receipt for $25, for my State e-filing fee.

Where I feel this amount is lacking, is in the Postage I now must pay.  As my return is 44 pages, postage is as follows:
$2.36 for large envelope, 7 ounces
$3.75 for Certified
$6.11

$6.11 x 2 (Federal & State) = $12.22

$69.99   Turbo Tax software, bought at Costco (license code included in refund request form)
$25.00  State e-file fee, I was never able to e-file.
$12.22 for Postage, that should have been zero if Turbo Tax worked as intended.

$107.21           Total Refund requested, minimum

And of course, this doesn’t include anything for my time wasted, time spent with your Customer Service, etc.  (Priceless)
At the very least, in addition to my Refund of $107.21, Intuit should offer codes to be used for 2022 taxes, next year.  Without receiving such a coupon code / voucher / etc, I will most definitely be looking for alternative Tax Preparation software for next year.

boneboat

Missed this date. Missed the 3/17 date. When will this REALLY be ready? Do you want me as a long-term user of TurboTax???

boneboat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update :

from the irs refund status website,
does anyone know how long to wait to get the irs status  that is is approved ? It still shows that  irs received it and it is being processed .

Irs said it has accepted it March 12th submission , thanks for your input . 

@Anonymousmine was accepted Saturday,  approved Wednesday, and was deposited into my account a few hours ago. I’m sure timing will vary. 

I did the e-file last week and then got rejected due to potential issue on 1116 foreign tax credit carryover calculation. Then I did the update on 3/18, and e-file again. But now got rejected because of "AGI or self-select PIN doesn't match IRS record". I went back to my 2020 tax return and double check with those numbers and are 100% sure the numbers are correct. Tried several times of e-filing again, but same results. 

Could it because I did paper filing last year (TT didn't fix 1116 form problem last year and I was forced to do paper filing) and maybe somehow the IRS stuff mistakenly input my AGI number differently? I did some research and found that you could request a digital copy of your last year's return. The process requires a online Video Authentication, but since I live in China  now and the Firewall between China and the US make it impossible to register a online account with IRS. 

Can anyone advice on this problem? If I call IRS directly, can they verify my AGI over the phone? Or is there any other way to e-file my tax return. Don't want to end up with paper filing again like last year. 

Try to put 0 in for your 2020 AGI, this happens if you paper filed and for some reason it is delayed.  Let us know if works.

bc1x
Returning Member

You will probably have to use a paid VPN no matter what route you take.  Free VPN's may sell your personal data.  Colleagues at work should be able to recommend several paid VPN's.

The fastest way to get a transcript as noted in the IRS Transcript webpage is to create an account with a photo of yourself.  If that is objectionable, there is an online form to request a mailed copy.  Note that the telephone number is for requesting the copy by mail.  It does not appear that you will be connected to an IRS agent, who will give you the 2020 AGI over the telephone.  It's too late in the filing season to wait for international mail to deliver the transcript.

Both the free version of OLT & the paid version (which may end up being free, because you don't need a state return) have the Form 2555.  If the OLT return is identical to that created by Turbotax, then you will not have to worry about accuracy.  There is no desktop version of OLT.  Be certain to double check the OLT return; because after e-filing, there is no access to the Step-By-Step process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies