turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shay25

2017 TAXES HAVING PROBLEM WITH SECTION 465 AT RISK CARRYIN OVER LARGE LOSS AMOUNT ,

I AM BEING AUDIT BY IRS CONCERNING SECTION 465 CARRY OVER LOSS AMOUNT, NOT SURE WHY A LARGE AMOUNT WAS CARRIED OVER ON MY TAXES, HOW DO I TRACE IT BACK TO SEE WHERE IT STARTED  FROM? TRYING TO UNDERSTAND IT, SO I CAN EXPLAINED IT TO IRS OR FIGURE OUT HOW TO GIVE THEM THE DOCUMENTATION THEY NEED FOR THE AUDIT.

NEED URGENT HELP OR ADVICE !!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

2017 TAXES HAVING PROBLEM WITH SECTION 465 AT RISK CARRYIN OVER LARGE LOSS AMOUNT ,

If you have a loss carried forward you need to look at the older returns ... start with 2016. 

If you purchased Audit Defense for your tax return, call Tax Resources, Inc. at (877)-829-9695, or report your notice on their web site at http://intuit.taxaudit.com/. Do not contact the IRS. Let Tax Resources contact them for you.

This is the membership email you should have gotten:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901569-when-will-i-get-my-audit-defense-membership-kit

Also read the member agreement at this website -https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/auditdefense.jsp

If you did not purchase Audit Defense:

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

A Section 465 (d) carryover refers to the ‘at-risk’ rules of Section 465 of the Internal Revenue Code.  Under that section, your losses are limited to the amount you have at risk in the activity.  A loss that was disallowed because of the at-risk rules is generally treated as a deduction from the same activity in the following tax year (ie. carried over).

The amount you see for Section 465(d) carryover is the amount of loss you weren't able to take last year, but may be able to take this year.

If you are certain you didn't have a Section 465 (d) carryover from prior years, you can clear this up by adding a negative "Miscellaneous" expense  and describe it as  "Section 465 (d) carryover offset".  

For more information see IRS Pub. 925 - Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules

What type of business do you have?  It is rather unusual to have an At-Risk carryover.

It would likely be in your best interest to go to a tax professional for assistance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

have to agree with the advice to seek professional help.   depending on the activity there are different rules for determining at risk.  for an individual or even a single-member LLC an at-risk limit would be highly unusual.  for an S-Corp or Partnership (including a multimember LLC) the rules are completely different for each and at-risk limits are much more common. To complicate things basis and at-risk can be completely different. if the entity terminates, unless at-risk is positive before the suspended at-risk, those losses can never be used.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies