turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-SA TurboTax Software Error?

Dear Sirs,

I am wondering if your software is in error.

My wife contributed $8000 to her HSA in 2020 & her Employer's software will often "turn off" excess contributions before they happen.

In 2020, she also turned 56, and according to my research our "Family" contribution" of $7000 plus the $1000 "catch up contribution" is spot on.

reference:

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/benefits/pages/irs-2020-hsa-contribution-limits.asp...

Why is the software saying we contributed $1100 in excess and have to make a withdrawal above the limit you have of $6900 ?

my best,

TheSavvyInvester

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Honestly, it sounds like you are using a very old version of TurboTax, like from tax year 2018. The HSA contribution limit went to $7,000 for tax year 2019, and to $7,100 for tax year 2020.

I assume that you are using TurboTax downloadable software on either a Windows PC or on a Mac.

First check the text at the very top of the TurboTax window when you are in it - does it say "2020"? If it says some other year, please get the right version.

If it says "2020", then please update the software before continuing.

As for your spouse's age, if your spouse was 55 at the beginning of 2020 and this is your spouse's HSA, then TurboTax would have added the $1,000 automatically.

But first update the software before worrying about that.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Honestly, it sounds like you are using a very old version of TurboTax, like from tax year 2018. The HSA contribution limit went to $7,000 for tax year 2019, and to $7,100 for tax year 2020.

I assume that you are using TurboTax downloadable software on either a Windows PC or on a Mac.

First check the text at the very top of the TurboTax window when you are in it - does it say "2020"? If it says some other year, please get the right version.

If it says "2020", then please update the software before continuing.

As for your spouse's age, if your spouse was 55 at the beginning of 2020 and this is your spouse's HSA, then TurboTax would have added the $1,000 automatically.

But first update the software before worrying about that.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mark,

Thanks.

Multiple new inputs, including  reviewing the 1099-SA, initializing a Software Update, & esentially starting over w/ that input/form cleared it up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies