turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schro
Returning Member

1099 SA medical savings accounts - why is the software increasing my tax liability when a distribution from my HSA account was used 100% for qualified medical expense?

I am using TT2019 Premier.  Same question for someone else in 2018 version.   I followed the steps provided in last years forum which was: to correct this bug add the HSA distribution back in under medical expenses "other" and add a note that says "HSA medical expense offset."  I did that but it doesn't fix the problem I am still taxed on the distribution, apparently because I do not have enough medical expensed to qualify.   I then went to the 8889-T to try and manually correct the problem but line 15 doesn't allow you to edit it.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

1099 SA medical savings accounts - why is the software increasing my tax liability when a distribution from my HSA account was used 100% for qualified medical expense?

why do you assume a bug from 2018 still exists?

if you enter the data as required and assume it works correctly, please restate your question. 

are you sure the issue is related to the distribution and not the CONTRIBUTION?

is the contribution correct? 

Schro
Returning Member

Please disregard my post.  After completely starting over on entering the 1099-SA I found the box I incorrectly checked and that has remedied the problem.  Thank you for your time

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies