Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DHeath1986
Returning Member

Qualified for CTC of 2020 taxes but now for 2021 have an appeal and have to verify my kids why?

I have claimed my 6 year old for 5 years of his life my 3 year old for all three years I got the CTC advance based of my 2020 taxes year when I filled for 2021 tax year I had my return split with a dd from my 1099 taxes paid and it shows my CTC and EIC still on my account balance but now have an appeal and have to prove my kids are mine anybody else going trough this and if they where gonna have an issue why bother giving me the advance CTC And I entered the correct amount of the advance I received I logged into the child credit portal I have an ID.me account verified as well as an IRS account made since 2020 verified as well I used TurboTax last year as well as for 2019 and 2017 and 2016 never had issues. Anybody else having this problem this year? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Qualified for CTC of 2020 taxes but now for 2021 have an appeal and have to verify my kids why?

The IRS is constantly upgrading its security and filters. The Service says it's asking some people to verify their identity to make sure the people are who they say they are – and not someone pretending to be someone else — before the IRS will give them access to your sensitive account information.

The verification of your identity helps to keep your information safe and prevent fraud and identity theft.

2021 Child Tax Credit and Advance Child Tax Credit Payments — Topic K: Verifying Your Identity to Vi...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies