turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Provider care no one was hired to care for the dependence. How can I get pass this question? The dependents live with me so I don't know how much I spent on them

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Provider care no one was hired to care for the dependence. How can I get pass this question? The dependents live with me so I don't know how much I spent on them

If you did not pay someone to take care of your child so you could work then you do not enter anything for the child and dependent care credit.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580507-how-do-i-delete-form-2441-in-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you had a dependent care flexible spending account at work, you must still complete this section of the program. When the program asks for the amount of your qualified expenses indicate zero. It sounds like you have no qualifying caregiver and no qualifying expenses. In that case, any money that you managed to withdraw from the FSA is taxable income, and any money that was forfeited or carried over to next year is simply lost or carried over and is not taxable. But you have to indicate this on the tax form. You may need to go back to the W-2 section because either in the W-2 section or in a dependent care interview, or maybe in both, you will be asked if there is any amount from the flexible spending account that was lost or forfeited. You need to answer this question correctly in order to avoid paying taxes on the forfeited amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies