turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2celtics

Why cant I take my itemized deductions which is more than my standard deduction?

Im filing Married separate as well.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why cant I take my itemized deductions which is more than my standard deduction?

You must use the same deduction type as your spouse. If your spouse is using the standard deduction, you must use it also even if the itemized deductions are more. If your spouse uses itemized deductions, then you can also use itemized deductions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You must use the same deduction type as your spouse. If your spouse is using the standard deduction, you must use it also even if the itemized deductions are more. If your spouse uses itemized deductions, then you can also use itemized deductions.

2celtics

I want to file Married separately and get my itemized deductions instead of standard. My spouse will file seperatly (  as well and select itemize.  Im not seeing where the program is giving me that option.?

On the screen in Personal Info where you select filing status, there is a screen immediately following where you check the box that one of you is claiming itemized deductions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies