Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lwill1721

I am an independent contractor and the company reimburses my mileage.This mileage reimbursement will show up on my 1099 income.Can I deduct this mileage on my schedule C?

I am an independent contractor and the company reimburses my mileage.This mileage reimbursement will show up on my 1099 income.Can I deduct this mileage as an expense on my schedule C even though I am reimbursed for it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am an independent contractor and the company reimburses my mileage.This mileage reimbursement will show up on my 1099 income.Can I deduct this mileage on my schedule C?

Please clarify. You are asking from TT Business. This is not used to prepare Schedule C.
lwill1721

I am an independent contractor that will be filling out a schedule C.  I am doing contract work for a business.  The business pays me for my contract work and reimburses my mileage. All of this income is reported on my 1099 which I will be using for my schedule C. Can I deduct mileage as a business expense even though I receive income for that mileage.

Of course ... you will deduct all qualified expenses on the Sch C and the reimbursement  is considered income ... they balance each other off naturally.

@lwill1721   We just want to make sure you are using the right Turbo Tax program for your return.  On your post you indicated the separate Business program which does not do a personal return and doesn't have schedule C.  You need to be using either the Desktop Home & Business program or the Online Self Employed version.

If the reimbursement is part of your taxable income, you can take whatever deductions you would be allowed against that income, using schedule C or form 2106 depending on the work you do.  You don't have to make any special adjustments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies