Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hawk1462

Hi, Is sales tax deduction over the standard deduction limit (12K) for individuals? Ex, i paid sale tax of $900 for car. So, is deduction 12900 or 900 only?

Not sure if itemised item (form 1040), part of standard deduction or over and above? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi, Is sales tax deduction over the standard deduction limit (12K) for individuals? Ex, i paid sale tax of $900 for car. So, is deduction 12900 or 900 only?

No you do not add to the Standard Deduction.  It is either your Itemized Deductions or the Standard Deduction, whichever is more.

Do you think you will have enough to itemize this year?  This year the Standard Deduction will be doubling so many people will be switching to the Standard Deduction.  And there is a max 10,000 limit (5,000 MFS) of property tax and state taxes "SALT".

FAQ on 2018 changes https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482394-how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-2018-federal-tax-return

For 2018 the standard deduction amounts are:
Single 12,000 + 1,600 for 65 and over or blind
HOH 18,000 + 1,600 for 65 and over or blind
Joint 24,000+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind
Married filing Separate 12,000 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You do that by actually entering your information yourself and letting the software do the calculations.  You do not ask the public user forum to do your tax return for you.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
hawk1462

sorry! i am not clear with itemised deduction and standard deduction, so rephrased the question. Hope its clear now!

No you do not add to the Standard Deduction.  It is either your Itemized Deductions or the Standard Deduction, whichever is more.

Do you think you will have enough to itemize this year?  This year the Standard Deduction will be doubling so many people will be switching to the Standard Deduction.  And there is a max 10,000 limit (5,000 MFS) of property tax and state taxes "SALT".

FAQ on 2018 changes https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482394-how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-2018-federal-tax-return

For 2018 the standard deduction amounts are:
Single 12,000 + 1,600 for 65 and over or blind
HOH 18,000 + 1,600 for 65 and over or blind
Joint 24,000+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind
Married filing Separate 12,000 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

If you itemize your deductions you can either take the state and local SALES TAX deduction OR the state and local INCOME TAX deduction whichever is greater. There are a couple items like car sales tax you can add to the general sales tax table.  That is mainly for people who live in a state without a state income tax.
hawk1462

thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies