turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TerryH
Returning Member

For home office expenses/deductions, where and how to I enter the cost of a new water heater that cost $885?

This question is specific to the cost of a new water heater that cost $885 that I want to enter as a home office expense.  Can i enter this as an expense somewhere or do i have to treat it as an asset and take depreciation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For home office expenses/deductions, where and how to I enter the cost of a new water heater that cost $885?

The replacement of a water heater would be a depreciable asset but you can choose to expense it.  Since it is only $885, depreciating it would result in a very very small benefit.

You would enter the water heater cost in the Home Office section under Repair Expenses 

To do this click the following

• Business
  • I'll Choose what I work on
  • Update next to Business Income and Expenses
  • Edit next to your business
  • Start next to Home Office Expense under Business Expenses
  • Walk through all the questions until you come to the Repair Expense question.  
  • You may not see this question if you are choosing the simplified method.  You will see it if you are taking the actual expense method. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anita01

The water heater would not just be used for the home office, would it?
TerryH
Returning Member

No.  It is for the entire house.  Thanks.

The replacement of a water heater would be a depreciable asset but you can choose to expense it.  Since it is only $885, depreciating it would result in a very very small benefit.

You would enter the water heater cost in the Home Office section under Repair Expenses 

To do this click the following

• Business
  • I'll Choose what I work on
  • Update next to Business Income and Expenses
  • Edit next to your business
  • Start next to Home Office Expense under Business Expenses
  • Walk through all the questions until you come to the Repair Expense question.  
  • You may not see this question if you are choosing the simplified method.  You will see it if you are taking the actual expense method. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies