turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hjkarloff

I am itemizing deductions on my 2017 federal return. I would like to itemize deductions on my New York return--don't ask why--but I can't figure out how to do so. How?

Turbotax insists on giving me the standard deduction on my New York State return.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I am itemizing deductions on my 2017 federal return. I would like to itemize deductions on my New York return--don't ask why--but I can't figure out how to do so. How?

New York's Standard Deduction is higher than the federal Standard Deduction for each filing status.

New York's itemized deductions start with the federal itemized deductions, and makes specific adjustments. In TurboTax Premier for Windows, you can view the forms in your state return by clicking on Forms in the upper right corner of your screen. Review your Form IT-201-D, and the worksheet  IT-201-D Sub Adj to see how your deduction was calculated or limited.

There is no way to force it to use the standard deduction if your New York itemized deductions are larger than your New York standard deduction.

[Edit: 03/08/18 3:34 PM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

New York's Standard Deduction is higher than the federal Standard Deduction for each filing status.

New York's itemized deductions start with the federal itemized deductions, and makes specific adjustments. In TurboTax Premier for Windows, you can view the forms in your state return by clicking on Forms in the upper right corner of your screen. Review your Form IT-201-D, and the worksheet  IT-201-D Sub Adj to see how your deduction was calculated or limited.

There is no way to force it to use the standard deduction if your New York itemized deductions are larger than your New York standard deduction.

[Edit: 03/08/18 3:34 PM]

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

@hjkarloff There is no way to force it to use the standard deduction if your New York itemized deductions are larger than your New York standard deduction. I've edited my answer accordingly.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies