turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ktja424
Returning Member

Does federal have to be approved before state is approved? And is the state refund effected with eic?

Curious if anyone knows does federal need to be approved before state can be approved? Also if I'm claiming the eic I know federal will hold u til the 15th but can it be approved before then
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies
AnnaB

Does federal have to be approved before state is approved? And is the state refund effected with eic?

No, states can approve a filed return before the Federal is approved by the IRS.

Yes, the delay of refunds due to the Earned Income Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit only applies to the release of the refund.  The returns should still be processed as normal.

Note: E-filed state returns will not be accepted until your Federal return is accepted.  This is the first step to e-filing, approval is after the return is processed by the government(s).

Ktja424
Returning Member

Thank you so much very helpful and happy to know I don't not need to wait for federal

My state refund this past week. Does this mean my federal refund will be accepted, and will it be soon?

and yes, I efiled. but my fed return still says processing. My state says it was accepted and is on its way.
tomtosha

How come i dont have a status bar and it says my return is being processed ....i already got my state back a long time ago..

So thats not true...from both states i had

If the state approved taxes paid will federal approve taxes as well??? One day it will say accepted then another day it will say as if we haven’t filed yet 

I got my state but not my Federal yet... Is that normal?

I hope so because i got my state and not my federal yet

Yes, the Federal and State returns are both soft-checked at the same time before e-filing, and it is possible that you can receive your State refund before the IRS refund.  The funds come from different places.

You can use the Where's my refund? tool to track your IRS refund.

Did you end up getting your federal 

Did u receive ur federal tax refund yet?

Did u receive your federal tax return yet? How long after if u did.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

With the IRS filing delay and backlog this tax season due to COVID, and now with the addition of getting a third round of stimulus checks distributed, the IRS has not stated how long it will take to deposit tax refunds. Each refund must be cross checked for stimulus, unemployment reductions, EIC, ACTC and more. If your refund contained any of the items for cross checking, it will take longer to get your refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I o federal so can there take it from state

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies