Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elie-fla

Can I deduct mileage as a moving expense for a new job?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

That depends. If your move qualifies, you may deduct the mileage if you use your car to take yourself, members of your household, or your personal effects to your new home. The mileage rate for moving is 17¢ cents per mile for 2017. A qualified move must be closely related to the start of work and meet both the distance test and the time test, as discussed in the FAQ below. For a complete list of deductible moving expenses, see IRS Pub 521: Moving Expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4195194

[Edited 02.12.2018 I 02:025PM PST]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

That depends. If your move qualifies, you may deduct the mileage if you use your car to take yourself, members of your household, or your personal effects to your new home. The mileage rate for moving is 17¢ cents per mile for 2017. A qualified move must be closely related to the start of work and meet both the distance test and the time test, as discussed in the FAQ below. For a complete list of deductible moving expenses, see IRS Pub 521: Moving Expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4195194

[Edited 02.12.2018 I 02:025PM PST]

POCII
Returning Member

I moved my family from Missouri to Colorado in Dec. Turbo tax keeps reverting to Military being the only ones who can right off this. Is that true for 2020?

POCII
Returning Member

How do you get the program to allow you to put in the info, given it only has a military moving cost? 

@POCII Sorry---this is a really old and out dated thread.   The tax laws changed for moving expenses for 2018 returns and beyond.   You cannot deduct moving expenses on a federal tax return unless you are an active duty member of the military.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies