Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim half mortgage interest if my father and I are on the title/deed but my name is not on the mortgage loan. We split the payment monthly & is our primary home.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Can I claim half mortgage interest if my father and I are on the title/deed but my name is not on the mortgage loan. We split the payment monthly & is our primary home.

Mortgage interest reported on the 1098 can be deducted by those who are legally obligated to pay it. Two criteria must be met.
 1) You must be legally obligated to pay it.
 2) You must have actually paid it.
SO yes, if both of you meet the above criteria then each of you can claim what you actually paid. However, if your name is not the one shown on the 1098, if you are audited be prepared to prove you paid what you claim. Else the IRS will disallow the deduction and you'll pay a fine/penalty for claiming a deduction you didn't qualify to take. (If you can't prove it, then you don't qualify)
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. Since you are on the deed, you have "substantial interest" in the property and therefore  meet the requirement to be legally obligated to pay the mortgage. 

But, You pretty much have a choice. One can claim it all or you can split it. It's usually best if only one claims the deductible home expenses, allowing the other to use the standard deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies